Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I went to Cycle Gear for some goodies and got to looking at their helmets. Their Bilt Solar helmet was on sale from $199 to $99, so I decided to pick one up. I used it today and I have to say that it is the noisiest helmet I have ever had. Absolutely pitiful and it proves that looks can be deceiving. I have no idea why somebody can't make a helmet that is quiet and yet safe. This thing is unbelievable and I will be taking it back. Now I know that you get what you pay for but these helmets are stamped out like cookies and there is no reason to have to scream to hear you own voice. It was quieter on the bike without the helmet than with it. Just a comment about good money chasing bad stuff. Unbelievable to say the least since its a 60 mile trip one way to take it back through Austin traffic.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
well atleast it was an enjoyable ( ? ) ride

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well atleast it was an enjoyable ( ? ) ride
Huh....did you say something? Yes, the ride was OK, just hot. 89degrees and a stiff wind. But all in all, it was a good ride...Just deaf at the end. :D

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
... what , uh ? wait or weight ?

That noisy helmet thing, gotta get on your nerves bad ...:eek:
Kinda a "ratty situation" !!!! I agree, bring it back, and keep
trying. There is one out there for you !!!!
Yea, the weight was comparable to the HJC. I have had HJC, Shoei, Bell, and I find them all unacceptable in the wind noise department. Now I do prefer the Flip model and I do understand that they are noisier than full face. But even the full face HJC I have is above average. And yes, I like them tight and pressing against the cheeks and seemingly sound resistant. To top it off I am deaf as a door knob for high frequencies but these 1200 to 1500khz wind noise-es drive me nuts. The helmets need conical shaped padding like we had in our noise chambers, not just flat polyurethane foam. Does anybody have the Shoei Neotec Modular and if so, compare it to something else. Its becoming evident to me that the price of the helmet is determined by the graphics and not comfort. And yes, I have tried every ear plug known to man with little to no help except to make my ear canal sore. That was the mission I was on yesterday to try the Sure Fire Ear Pros that have been mentioned here. Funny enough, even though Fry's , Rei and others are listed as dealers for them, they have no idea of what your talking about and have zero.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I'll just keep quiet.

:D

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I have the Nolan 43 (actually 2 Nolan 43 helmets) when I have the face shield down I hear hardly anything

·
Registered
155 Posts
I run the H/D 98211-10VM modular helmet.
Did not know at the time of purchase, but I believe the helmet is made from HJC.
That has got to be the best helmet ( in my opinion) on the market.
Yes, it's full face modular, but it is not even close to being as warm as the other full face helmets I've had. Matter of fact, our spring time has showed up here. Just the other day. Thought I would grab the Regular HJC helmet and take off. And did. And turned around three miles down the road and come back for the modular helmet. More comfort, less noise , and believe it or not., cooler for some reason. Air flow in this helmet is super.
I'm all for safety. And this modular helment I do wear, makes me feel safer and comfortable than all my other helments which consist of other HJC's, Bell, Arai. The weight of this helmet is 3lbs / 6oz.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/...cale=en_US&bmUID=1333319761932&bmLocale=en_US

( HJC .... IS-MAX BT)
http://www.hjchelmets.com/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,006 Posts
My helmet doesn't make any noise.... Just a click or thump when I raise and lower the shield....:rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Was wondering if you have a head set in that helmet. I installed mic mute on our 1500. Helps stop road noise and wind noise coming through the intercom system.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was wondering if you have a head set in that helmet. I installed mic mute on our 1500. Helps stop road noise and wind noise coming through the intercom system.
No Ron, not in this new Bilt. In my HJC's I have a J&M setup. Yes, the intercom noise is annoying too so I keep it shut off until she/I need it. The Bilt is without any stuff other than the helmet. Seems that Bilt is made and sold exclusively by CG. Dig and you can find their website and when you click helmets, it takes you to CG. Anyway, its just aggravating.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Issac, have you ever tried a Nolan? I've got a Nolan N90 modular and have several riding friends who do too. Great reviews on them, excellent ventilation for the Texas heat. They're cheaper than my previous N102 and has decent build quality better ventilation and less noise. If you have a large head better get an XL. I'll get another for my next helmet. I always get white for visibility and Texas heat. I seem to not sweat as bad in the N90 because the helmet doesn't stink as bad.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Issac, have you ever tried a Nolan? I've got a Nolan N90 modular and have several riding friends who do too. Great reviews on them, excellent ventilation for the Texas heat. They're cheaper than my previous N102 and has decent build quality better ventilation and less noise. If you have a large head better get an XL. I'll get another for my next helmet. I always get white for visibility and Texas heat. I seem to not sweat as bad in the N90 because the helmet doesn't stink as bad.
Thanks Dan. I am taking this Bilt back tomorrow so I will check out the Nolan. Info appreciated.:) Isaac

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Oh, Mercy....I bit the bullet. Took the Bilt back today to Cycle Gear. I noticed that there was a big box full of returned helmets. I don't think a lot of people are keeping them. I have to admit though, I still think Cycle Gear is a super place to shop for gear. Not pushy or negative, they are easy going and friendly and pretty knowledgeable too. So, what did I do you ask. Well, I was going to try and upgrade to a Nolan but alas, they had none in stock. So I went to the next choice on my list, The Scorpion....nope, none in stock. That left me with the $hoei's. That is not a miss hit key. I decided on and bought the Shoei, Neotec Modular in Silver. It is pretty snazzy too. Last Shoei I had was back in the late 80's I think and they weren't that expensive. So, if this gets cut off in mid sentence, its because the cops have found me and solved the bank robbery mystery. I used it coming home on the FJR and here are a few things I noticed. The chin bar is very sturdy and really snaps into place compared to the HJC's. I tried several brands to do a comparison. The helmet is plush on the inside and has recessed areas for speakers. This is the newest $hoei and has been re-designed up from the Multi Tec to allow more lip to chin bar clearance. So, driving home, I noticed good air flow and although it was getting up in temp, I didn't feel sweaty inside. The noise level in the helmet is much lower than the HJC Full Face I rode up on. Its not Rolls Royce quiet but so much better than the others I tried. The thing that I found interesting is that the noise level stayed the same no matter which way you turned your head or tilted your head. Almost the same level when used without the windscreen on the bike or with the windscreen raised to full up. It has the flip down tinted visor and it really works nice. Positive movement and it comes down far enough to not present any vision problems. The Bilt and my other HJC only come down slightly under the eyes. This goes much further down. So far thats all I can tell you about it. I will get all the J&M gear into it and post a report about how that all went. But it seems to be a real quality helmet and it should be for the price. Thanks for everyone's comments and now I cannot complain. If this doesn't solve my problem with wind noise, then the only solution is ink pins to the ear drums. Thanks again folks. :)Isaac

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Thanks for the report. I acquired a new modular helmet at the end of last season and have yet to try it out.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Hope it works out for you. A good test would be use it and ride to Cody mid August, then you can give me a first hand eval. report.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, my word....Well, I just gave you the big impression of the Shoei Neotec and low and behold here is a major glitch. Taking the J&M headsets out of the HJC and trying to install them in the new helmet, I see that the recess built into the Neotec is way too small. The speakers are way too thick and larger in diameter than the recess. Problem is the recess in the Neotec is "plastic" and built into the helmet. Can't just carve out the foam like you can on the HJC's to make them fit. J&M wants $280 to install their thin line system into the Neotec plus a new lower cord. This all total runs the price of the new brain bucket to near $1000 bucks. You gotta be kiddin me...I think I need a few beers bout now. You would think that something this pricey would make allowances for things like headset speaker size. I need a whole 6 pack. Its embarrassing...:eek:

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Isaac; My Fine Texas Friend; Sounds like you got a case of Buzzards Luck going on.
Can't Kill nothing !
And won't a Bad Thing Die
;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Isaac; My Fine Texas Friend; Sounds like you got a case of Buzzards Luck going on.
Can't Kill nothing !
And won't a Bad Thing Die
;):rolleyes:
Wow Ron, you hit the nail on the head. I can't get Shoei or J&M to respond to emails so I will be doing some calling tomorrow. Looks like Shoei and J&M got in cahoots and decided to make a helmet that only J&M could put stuff in. Kinda like buying a Cadillac only to find out that the tires don't have valve stems anymore. This world is just getting way too complicated. Well, the good thing is that somehow, someway, it will all work out. It always does. Life in the fast lane. Hang in there Pard.:)Isaac P.s. still working on the Aug thing. Although I am not too thrilled about it being so close to the Sturgis thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.