Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your suggestions for a helmet intercom system that works with the 2021 GL1800? Tried linking my BILT helmets with the Sena DWO-5 built-in system and the bike refuses to sync either as the rider or as the passenger. On the helmets the only options are helmet to helmet or the universal link.
Does the bike need to use a helmet that has the new SENA Mesh Bluetooth system or what?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
My one helmet now seems dead as all I get is a constant red light on the center button of the DWO-5. Takes a charge and shows the blue light, but no longer has voice-prompt or the Center plus the + button no longer turn the unit on. Tried the reset button and it didn't seem to do much of anything so I'm wondering if the unit is just DOA.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I'm sorry I can't answer any of your question.

I will, though, welcome you to the forum.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cardo Packtalk Bold is what I use. It works very well with the Wing linking up in Bluetooth protocol very efficiently. After linking it with my Iphone, Garmin Zumo XT, and the Wing it is switched to DMC mode for easy intercom talking. I also ride a dirt bike and an adventure bike with helmets for each kind of riding. Each helmet has its own Packtalk mounting bracket with microphone and speakers. I detach the Packtalk Bold from one helmet and move it to another depending on the kind of riding I will be doing. Practically all my riding friends have Packtalks so it makes it easy to link up in DMC intercom mode. Biggest group so far with DMC intercom has been seven: four riders and three passengers. I have been leery of purchasing helmets with built-in communication devices because if the unit goes bad you have a helmet with a useless device built into it, now your helmet is less valuable too.

·
Registered
2020 Goldwing Base - Dark w/ Red
32 Posts
Watch one of the "Pairing" videos for 2018 plus Goldwings. "Pairing" is not completely intuitive. Once you see your Sena headset show up in the screen you have to hit "Abort" and then scroll down to the Sena on the screen and select it to finish pairing.

I also use the Cardio as I find the JBL headphone speakers just better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are your suggestions for a helmet intercom system that works with the 2021 GL1800? Tried linking my BILT helmets with the Sena DWO-5 built-in system and the bike refuses to sync either as the rider or as the passenger. On the helmets the only options are helmet to helmet or the universal link.
Does the bike need to use a helmet that has the new SENA Mesh Bluetooth system or what?
My one helmet now seems dead as all I get is a constant red light on the center button of the DWO-5. Takes a charge and shows the blue light, but no longer has voice-prompt or the Center plus the + button no longer turn the unit on. Tried the reset button and it didn't seem to do much of anything so I'm wondering if the unit is just DOA.

Chuck

Chuck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a twist on the issues you are discussing, I have a 2021 GW1800 Tour DCT, I have the Sena 50S Bluetooth head sets. I have both headsets paired to the bike through the bike, including my phone and all of the standard systems on the GW, GPS, radio, etc, my personal expectation is that the intercom rider/passenger should also go through the GW. I haven’t figured out how to make it happen. I can pair the Sena 50S units, to be able to talk to each other, but when I do that I lose the communications with the bike. I’m guessing I am doing something wrong, but can’t figure it out, any knowledge that can be shared to enlighten me to the process?

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour DCT
95 Posts
Yesterday I went by Cycle Gear in North Houston and ended up with a 'Shoei SRL II Bluetooth Headset For GT-Air II By Sena' and also a modular 'Shoei Neotec 2 Helmet' which I was told that the two were made for each other and works well. The Cardo system was what I went in looking to buy by was finally sold on the one made for the particular Shoei helmet I chose in the end. A bit pricey I'll admit but hopefully it will be just what I want. I too buying a 2021 Honda GW 1800 DCT Trike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have multiple helmets with Sena and Cardio systems in them. Both work well.

But I found the Cardio, especially the Cardio Black with the 45mm headset to be the best quality sound.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Chuck
I know you are probably frustrated but before you do anything rash take a breath and step back from the problem. The forum was a good start!
Have you:
  1. Made sure your firmware is up to date on the headsets?
  2. Contacted SENA for assistance?
On to the specific information for you. If you have CB on the bike or plan to get CB, right now Sena or J&M are good choices. Cardo is not. I own a Packtalk Black and there's a 2-3 second volume ramp when it receives a transmission that you only get with the Cardo, and its by design. You lose many a transmission that way. I was forced to switch back to a Sena 30K and miss the Cardo's audio quality but for me its not an option right now.

If CB is not an issue/need, the Packtalk Black with the 45mm JBL speakers is the first headset I've had that I forgot was a headset. I seriously went to evaluate it and hope it was an improvement and it did some black magic to me and I forgot I was trying to review it. Poof, just out of my head. Realized later what had happened and basically they are the first headset that I didn't think "wow, this is great for a motorcycle headset". It went straight past that to acceptance and usage.

Here's my credentials. I've owned: Sena 10U (Shoei Neotec integrated), 20s, 30K, and then switched over to a Cardo Packtalk Black and back to the 30K with the HD speaker upgrade on the way. I've spent way too much money on headsets but I almost have something that works and works ok with the CB so I am crossing my fingers that the HD speakers for the Sena will make it decent.

What I've found about the headsets is below, it pretty much jives with the reviews I have seen online. Long Way Home youtube channel has a good review of the 50k vs packtalk bold.

Cardo:
The good:
  1. Good mesh tech
  2. Better wind noise cancelling than SENA (by far)
  3. Actually waterproof (IP67 rated, which is submerged in up to 1m of water for 30 minutes)
  4. The 45mm headset speakers are the best you can get right now
  5. If you run it out of battery you can actually charge and use it at the same time. I keep a power brick with me for various things and used it one ride to make sure I could still talk to my wife via intercom.
The bad:
  1. CB is basically useless unless you can get everybody you talk to you after waiting 2 seconds so you can actually hear them when they start talking. Probably not going to happen.
  2. Proprietary Mesh tech, can't mesh with Sena. Sena's is the same way
SENA
The good
  1. Connects with the Goldwing much faster than the Cardo, oddly enough. 5 seconds compared to 10-15 usually? Not sure why, both have the latest updates installed.
  2. CB use is flawless.
  3. Sena Mesh is better (opinion of course). Works more like a hands free CB setup as you don't have to pair with other Sena Mesh users. You select a channel and if others choose the same channel you can simply talk without pairing.
The Bad:
  1. Audio quality is not that great. Acceptible but barely (by my rating). I am hoping the HD speakers bump this up a bit.
  2. Wind noise cancellation is worse than the Cardo. See the Long Way Home review. If you get a Sena and use the boom mic make sure the side with the pointy nub is facing out.
  3. Not waterproof, water resistant and we all know how that usually ends up. Hey, you might have no issues but its something I wish Sena would address.
In the end, if I had to have only one and CB wasn't an issue I would choose the Packtalk Bold at a minimum or Packtalk Black for the speakers. But for that niggling CB issue I would still be using it, as it stands now its relegated to my box o' bad decisions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a twist on the issues you are discussing, I have a 2021 GW1800 Tour DCT, I have the Sena 50S Bluetooth head sets. I have both headsets paired to the bike through the bike, including my phone and all of the standard systems on the GW, GPS, radio, etc, my personal expectation is that the intercom rider/passenger should also go through the GW. I haven’t figured out how to make it happen. I can pair the Sena 50S units, to be able to talk to each other, but when I do that I lose the communications with the bike. I’m guessing I am doing something wrong, but can’t figure it out, any knowledge that can be shared to enlighten me to the process?
You need to pair the 50s units in private mesh mode or alternate/secondary bluetooth mode (primary being the bike). Until this last week I've used the Packtalk Black units in bluetooth pairing mode and you have normal bike interaction most of the time and then when your passenger talks it mutes the audio to about 20% or something and then plays the passenger's VOX over the top.

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour DCT
95 Posts
I have multiple helmets with Sena and Cardio systems in them. Both work well.

But I found the Cardio, especially the Cardio Black with the 45mm headset to be the best quality sound.
And that's why there is both Vanilla and Chocolate. Different tastes for different folks. The Pactalk supposedly can only have 4 bluetooth connet together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to pair the 50s units in private mesh mode or alternate/secondary bluetooth mode (primary being the bike). Until this last week I've used the Packtalk Black units in bluetooth pairing mode and you have normal bike interaction most of the time and then when your passenger talks it mutes the audio to about 20% or something and then plays the passenger's VOX over the top.
i did try the mesh both public and private group mesh. It does work, thank you. But it is my opinion that Honda would not put in an elaborate intercom system into the bike and not allow the rider and passenger to communicate within the system. I have talked with my dealer, they agree, but have not come up with a solution to do so yet. Surely with all of the 18+ goldwings out there somebody has set up their intercom where you don’t have to use mesh to communicate rider to passenger. Help would be appreciated. TY.

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour DCT
95 Posts
Up to 15 riders...
Well I was just two weeks ago considering buying a Pactalk and the salesman at Cycle Gear in Houston on I-45N told me that it could only handle 4 others. Seems he was misinformed. Thanks for the info. But I think I still bought a top notch system. Salesman stated that while Pactalk is a good system and a good seller the one I ended up buying outsells Pactalk for the Shoei helmet I bought because it was made specifically for my Shoei helmet. He claims that Shoei outsells all his other helmets he stocks and he had an entire long wall of different helmets. I just know that it was expensive at $699. Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I was just two weeks ago considering buying a Pactalk and the salesman at Cycle Gear in Houston on I-45N told me that it could only handle 4 others. Seems he was misinformed. Thanks for the info. But I think I still bought a top notch system. Salesman stated that while Pactalk is a good system and a good seller the one I ended up buying outsells Pactalk for the Shoei helmet I bought because it was made specifically for my Shoei helmet. He claims that Shoei outsells all his other helmets he stocks and he had an entire long wall of different helmets. I just know that it was expensive at $699. Time will tell I suppose.
They do sell a unit that is limited to 4...that may have been the only one they had in stock...that is the case sometimes with my Cycle Gear as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use Arai helmets. I have an Arai Goldwing ($650) and an Arai MK 2 Art ($900) and both have pockets that accommodate the JBL 45mm headsets that are optional with Cardio and standard with the Cardio Black.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hope you enjoy your purchase! According to the Sena page the SRL II supports open mesh so make sure you update your firmware to the latest and enjoy!

·
Registered
103 Posts
i did try the mesh both public and private group mesh. It does work, thank you. But it is my opinion that Honda would not put in an elaborate intercom system into the bike and not allow the rider and passenger to communicate within the system. I have talked with my dealer, they agree, but have not come up with a solution to do so yet. Surely with all of the 18+ goldwings out there somebody has set up their intercom where you don’t have to use mesh to communicate rider to passenger. Help would be appreciated. TY.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is no built in rider/passenger intercom in a 2018 goldwing. Per the manual (page 83 of the 2018 owners manual, page 81 printed on the page):

In Honda's defense, why create an intercom function when most vendors already have a intercom for rider/passenger conversation already? My wife and I have used both the Bluetooth and the private DMC intercom to do intercom with. It can be frustrating at times if one person doesn't have their mic set properly and you get wind noise repeatedly but it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts