Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wearing my helmet for about 45 minutes, I develop a pain in a small area just above my forehead. the painful area feels about the size of a dime, but is very anoying and I start having to wiggle my helmet around for relief.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
No other pinch spots or discomfort with the helmet? Sounds like a pressure point to me. It could also be that you have a personal sensitivity in that spot. Have you ever noticed it with any other helmet before or is this a new thing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a new pain.. Never had this problem before. Now this is a new helmet I got with the new bike.

Is there anything I can do to relieve this small area of discomfort?

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a new pain.. Never had this problem before. Now this is a new helmet I got with the new bike.

Is there anything I can do to relieve this small area of discomfort?
As long as you are only talking about a very small spot, what I have done in the past to eliminate helmet hot spots is to remove the liner so you can see the EPS (Styrofoam) inner liner. Then take the largest screwdriver you have or similar tool having a rounded end on the handle. I have heard of people using a billiard ball for this too. Then you'll want to press down on the EPS in the area of the hot spot using the round end of the handle to compress it slightly. After pressing the foam down a bit, reinstall the liner and wear your helmet for a while. You may have to repeat the process one or two more times until you find the right spot and "relieve" it enough to be comfortable. If you take it slow and depress the foam only a little bit at a time, you will not jeopardize the integrity of the helmet as long as only a small adjustment is needed. If you were talking about a very large hot spot or a major adjustment, it would be better to get a new helmet that fits you properly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i think that comes from too tight underwear

·
Registered
43 Posts
just kidding..........i had that problem and when i started using a dew rag it went away

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Also check the liner to make sure there isn't anything in it, sometimes a piece of foam will stick in there if you had a headset installed, other than that what wingleader09 sounds like it will work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the replies. I will try both. I'll get a dew rag and I tried to compress the area.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Avoid dew rags with a pronounced logo or stitched writing on the front or any raised seam. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agree with Wingleader. Did this on the wife's helmet and worked great. Used a small hammer to compress the strofoam just a little bit in the pressure area. No more pain. Everyone's happy.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Ron,

The wingleader is spot on. I had to do the same thing with both mine & the little ladies new HJC's when we got them. I took my time & it worked perfectly.

The other thing that I can recommend is instead of the typical do-rag, invest in the following. They are a little more money but I can tell you they are worth every penny. When we were in Southwest this summer it was 100+ daily & they really took moisture away & we didn't get the dreaded itch. I actually have the shorts & they work extremely well also. Good Products.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Great link fossil92. I often get the scalp tingle and I usually wear a do-rag of some sort, but they don't always help. I'll check this stuff out for sure.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
I'll check this stuff out for sure.
Budoka I'm sure you won't be sorry if you buy one or anyone else for that matter. It also kept the sun off the back of our necks as well as you can tell by the design. The shorts are great as well. At night on the road I'd just handwash them & they would be dry in the morning. Can't say enough good about these products. Hope it helps someone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts