Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question may have been asked many times but then again this may be unique.
1985 GW Limited Edition, new Fulmer flip up full face helmets.
We want to add Bike to Bike communications to our helmets, 3 Bikes (Myself and two sons).Is there a system that first allows Bike to Bike and also helmet to helmet (rider/passenger)Bike to Bike is first priority for us.We will buy three units the same or one (mine)with dual purpose if it connects into the factory GW system.The other bikes (not important) 1500 Victory,1500 Kawi Vulcan.We've lost each other a couple of times in traffic and decided this year we fix the problem once and for all. We have access to ebay etc. Thanks.

-Robert-

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Robert, I don't know about the helmet to helmet but check out the link below it may help. You may have to call them to get particulars. The other alternative may be to have the boys get CB's. Just a thought.

http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbxbi2okit.html

·
Registered
402 Posts
My wife and I and another couple we often ride ATV's with use the Chatterbox GMRS-X1 (http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbx1okit.html) helmet mounted radios. They allow us to communicate between the group leader and the trailer should someone in the group have mechanical or other problems. They also make a Bluetooth model (no experience with this one).

Depending on the unit you choose, communication is via Family Radio Service (FRS) or General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS). Full duplex intercom for private communication between rider and passenger is possible (that's a quote from the X1 manual). Although I bought the optional PTT buttons, we usually just adjust the VOX sensitivity to compensate for surrounding noise levels (usually wind blowing through our off-road helmets) and use the VOX when riding.

As far as my Goldwing, none of those I ride with have CBs or other means of communicating. In your case, losing track of a family member is probably more of an issue.

I bought my radios and accesories through Motion Wave Inc. (http://www.mwsbike.com/). They had the best prices at the time. Also, check out http://www.mwsbike.com/x1x2_optional.html#CB BTCP. The belt clips are nice if you don't want the radio mounted to your helmet.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife and I and another couple we often ride ATV's with use the Chatterbox GMRS-X1 (http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbx1okit.html) helmet mounted radios. They allow us to communicate between the group leader and the trailer should someone in the group have mechanical or other problems. They also make a Bluetooth model (no experience with this one).

We ordered 2 chatterbox GMRS X1 with Bluetooth kits from ebay
These were the best ones offered. I'll order the cable extensions and extra headset for my wife. My son will mount his on his helmet
I will mount mine on the fairing and use extension cables. I'm going
to pair my unit up with sound system (satelite radio) and the cell phone.

-Robert-

·
Registered
402 Posts
Robert,

I know they work great on our ATV's but keep us all posted on how well they work on the Wing, especially the Bluetooth feature.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robert,

I know they work great on our ATV's but keep us all posted on how well they work on the Wing, especially the Bluetooth feature.
Forgot to mention,these will do double duty ATV & MC use. I run a Polaris 500 H.O. and my son runs a 08 Kawi 700 We clock a lot of bush and trail miles in our mnts. I usually take point and he takes the rear in group rides (He's the mechanic).Winches front and back, we're not novice's at this as you can tell :)

-Robert-

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These Chatterbox GMRS X-1 Bluetooth communicators seem to be well thought out by the designers. I installed it today on my Flip face Fulmer helmet. The Fulmer like many helmets today has earphone pockets inside which makes installation a breeze. The Boom microphone clamps to the left side of the helmet and will swivel in any direction desired, it can be placed easily and securely in front of the mouth for precise postioning. Its covered by a foam wind sock which deadens the wind noise. Routing the cables under the inner helmet lining was simple and they cannot be seen. The transciever unit itself clips onto the same mount as the Microphone and can be taken on/off by pushing on a locking clip.I plugged in my MP3 to the Audio Input and listened to music, soon as I press the PTT button or activate the VOX by speaking it cuts out the MP3 automaticlly.
I may mount the transceiver unit on my dash and run a extension cable to the headset so that its more acessible to my satellite radio and 12V battery charge wire for charging while riding,(the battery will never die then). We will be testing these units soon for Transmit/receive distance and the various functions. I am a licensed radio operator so there are certain things I'll be looking for in the real world of radio communications using these Chatterbox units.So far I'm happy with what I see.

-Robert-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts