Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forty plus years ago I rode Nortons (gear shift on the other side) , then I stopped until, in 2007, I bought a Suzuki Burgman (no gear shift at all) on which I did 35,000 miles in 2.5 years before I used it to kill a deer in NM (didn't fall off but killed the Burgman as well as the deer). I then requisitioned my son's Triumph Thruxton for a while.

I just bought a 2005 GL1800A with 4500 miles on it. Above 5 mph I am deeply in love withe the wing, below 5 mph I am intimidated by it. I signed up for a "Ride Like A Pro" course to try to fix that problem.

Can any body tell me what gets damaged if I drop it at not many mph?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Welcome Crewzr and congrats on your wing, you will get used to the slow speed with your wing and get more comfortable. If you should happen to drop it (as many of us have) the crash bars will save you from doing any serious damage. Ride on :)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Welcome from the other side of Washington State and glad to have you aboard.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Welcome Crewzr, all you need is a little self confidence. Find a nice empty parking lot and practice a bit. You will be surprised how nimble the GW are.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
I signed up for a "Ride Like A Pro" course to try to fix that problem.
That's an excellent start! The guys are right, a little wounded pride "should" be all thats hurt. Good luck & welcome to the GWOF. We have a great bunch here & good discussion with enough nonsense to pass the time. Just keep an eye out for our top poster.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
The first thing injured should you drop your bike is your pride, but only if others saw it happen. The second injury is to your self- confidence. I know from experience that the former injury is worst than the latter as it takes longer to heal. Just ask the poster directly below.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello crewzr, welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pa and congrats on your new Wing. You won't be the first to drop your bike. Most of us say not "if" but "when". Here is a video on how to pick it up and also explains possible damage, which is minimal.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Forty plus years ago I rode Nortons (gear shift on the other side) , then I stopped until, in 2007, I bought a Suzuki Burgman (no gear shift at all) on which I did 35,000 miles in 2.5 years before I used it to kill a deer in NM (didn't fall off but killed the Burgman as well as the deer). I then requisitioned my son's Triumph Thruxton for a while.

I just bought a 2005 GL1800A with 4500 miles on it. Above 5 mph I am deeply in love withe the wing, below 5 mph I am intimidated by it. I signed up for a "Ride Like A Pro" course to try to fix that problem.

Welcome!!! Your previous riding history should allow you to master the 800 pound beast in just a few miles. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,894 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
Welcome crewzr! If you get the chance, go watch a GW drill team and see just how maneuverable a Wing is at ultra (? was that an oops) low speeds. Now these guys are well trained and practiced, but it's nothing that anyone else can't learn to do either. I used to rodeo with both my 1200 and 1500 Wings all the time, alone and two up, it's really quite astounding how comfortable you get to be after a while.

·
Premium Member
17,129 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and join the :D crowd. Most here are harmless, but not all the bubbles are plumb;)
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your warm welcome and encouraging advice. The video of the guy casually dumping his wing was very reassuring

1 - 14 of 14 Posts