Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon ladies and gents,

I figure it's about time to introduce myself, I've been hiding in the shadows, getting information here and there. I used a document I found on the forum to help me clean out all 4 carbs on my dads 30 years old goldwing and get it running again. Due to mechanical/money issues it was put in the garage and there it has sat for the last 7 years. After a good cleaning of the carbs, new fuel lines and filter, an oil change, new spark plugs, and some wd-40 she came back to life.

Still needs new spark plug wires (one of the plugs came apart on me and is just kinda.. stuck in there = D ). I also replaced the entire assembly for the front brake fluid container (Container, diaphram, lid).

I'm hoping I can find some more information now on bleeding the brakes, and what needs to be adjusted to get it running a little better. According to my dad is has always been cold blooded, but I had it running for 3-4 minutes and it didn't seem to want to idle on it's own.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. This weekend will probably entail a second oil change along with a new oil filter, and some possible exhaust work since it sounds like it has a small exhaust leak right off the engine.

Here is a picture of it right after we got it running. Faring and a whole lot more is still sitting on the ground, it was a long day of trying to back out bolts that hadn't moved in 30 years!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome ymmot04. Quite a project you have going there, lemme guess: a 1980 GL1100 Interstate? Should be sombody around here have some hints on your idle and brake glitches. Not much of a wrench myself but have access to lots of manuals and info. Best of luck in getting that baby back on the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are absolutely correct, 1980 G1100 Interstate. I wasn't much of a gearhead myself until about a year ago. I started tearing apart the engine in my Bonneville, then came the mods, and now I'm doing all my own vehicle maintenance. This is a completely different animal though. I've already learned quite a bit tearing into my first carb, I'm sure there is plenty more to learn.

By the way, the name is Tom. As is my dads, and his dads, and his... well you get the point.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Can't wait to see her all put back together. Ride safe and enjoy the site. Nice folks and good information on here...

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
Greetings from Florida and welcome to the forum. Ah, nothing like a good restoration project. You may be able to get a set of exhaust gaskets at your local Honda dealer or you may have to contact www.oldbikebarn.com for a set. Enjoy yourself and when you have it done please post pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts