Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums. Just purchased a 1985 gl1200. Probably going to be lurking around. Rebuild my 85 shadow using the help of the manual and other forums. Will be uploading pics of the new to me purchase sometime

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.

·
Administrator
26,312 Posts
Welcome to the site. For sure post some pics of that Wing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Just rebuilt the starter and stopped the oil leak. Left cover I had to order in used, and then I'll be changing the saddle bags. I like the turquoise, but think I'll repaint and go with a two tone. Blue saddle bags and transition on the side panels, leave the upper tank turquoise though. Go with a navy blue on the bags

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

·
Super Moderator
11,599 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just double checking everything. It's an 84 GL1200i, not an 85. Any idea how to check timing belt condition, or should I just go ahead and strip her down and replace the timing belts. Just to be on the safe side?

·
Super Moderator
11,599 Posts
If there is any doubt, replace them, cheap insurance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand. Just the bike is new to me. I already know about timing belts. Just out of curosity I was asking. Probably best to just replace them anyway, even though I have been taught to work smarter and not harder. Also dont do any extra work you dont have to...

·
Super Moderator
9,769 Posts
Beautiful color. Welcome to the GWOF from NE Pa. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Mackinaw Bridge    Hello from MI.jpg
Nice to have you join us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excited. Rebuilt the clutch master, slight leak from a damaged pivot. Took her around the block today, purring smooth and seems to be running good. Speedometer is screaming at 25 mph, I'll need to lube that up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I lubed the speedometer cable. Had to pull the windscreen, and just very carefully worked the cable out. Lubed it up and carefully put it back. No more screaming. And the bike has been sold. A little too heavy/big for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts