Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

New to the forum. I've just bought a 1982 GL 1100 that's been sitting under a tarp for 20+ years and am looking for someone to do a full back to frame restore. Having difficulty finding someone in Ontario with the skills, interest and passion to take this project on!

Please let me know if you can recommend any Goldwing mechanics in my neck of the woods who you think might be up for this BIG challenge!

Thanks!

Sam

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Finding a mechanic will be problematic due to the age of the bike. Have you considered what the cost would be just in parts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. Finding a mechanic will be problematic due to the age of the bike. Have you considered what the cost would be just in parts?
Hello,

Thanks for the note. Yes, I know it makes no financial sense. This is a passion project ;)

I'm probably going about it the wrong way, but I've already started putting orders in for brake rebuild kits, new master cylinder rebuild kits, braided lines, etc. Thinking of shipping the carb off for a rebuild too. So, I've got a sense of some of the costs involved on the parts side, but you are so right re finding someone to take this on. Seems like there are a few great guys in the States who focus on these bikes, but the border is currently closed for Canadians going south, so looking local for now. Thanks again for the note.

·
Administrator
15,315 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I can't help much with your restore project, except with moral support. Good luck. RayJ has a couple GL1000's that he is tinkering with. He should have a lot of places where he finds information.

Reactions: llahmas

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from AZ. One of our long time members is in Thornhill, plus he is a member of a local Goldwing group so he may be of help. His screenname is @Badrider . I will send him a text to give him the info on your thread, and see if he may be able to help.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Good luck with the rebuild. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I can't help much with your restore project, except with moral support. Good luck. RayJ has a couple GL1000's that he is tinkering with. He should have a lot of places where he finds information.
Thanks - moral support appreciated! I am revved up to get this bike in action over the next year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the GWOF from AZ. One of our long time members is in Thornhill, plus he is a member of a local Goldwing group so he may be of help. His screenname is @Badrider . I will send him a text to give him the info on your thread, and see if he may be able to help.
That's great. I did reach out to these guys in the last day, their between Toronto and Thornhill: Login • Instagram
Some nice restores on their site. I'm just gonna keep following leads. Thanks for sending this over to your bud.

·
Super Moderator
10,006 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Looks like you have a nice project in front of you. Can't wait to see the results. Post pics along the way..

Reactions: llahmas

·
Administrator
15,315 Posts
I also sent him a message on the Book of Faces.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Sam. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. Quite the project you have undertaken. Why not do as much of it as you can. The members here seem very versed on the bike and will be happy to help. Here is a link to download a parts manual and a factory repair manual. Going to be a fun project. 😀

Hello - Fantastic resources! Thanks for pointing me to them. I've got the Clymer manual en route as well from Amazon. I'll check in with a progress report and pictures over the next few months. Thanks again for the support on this project guys.
Sam

·
Administrator
15,315 Posts
Great. Not on the Book of Faces anymore, ha, ha. Thanks for that!
He only gets on here sporadically lately, so I was telling him about it and hoping he would get on here and respond.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Hello,

New to the forum. I've just bought a 1982 GL 1100 that's been sitting under a tarp for 20+ years and am looking for someone to do a full back to frame restore. Having difficulty finding someone in Ontario with the skills, interest and passion to take this project on!

Please let me know if you can recommend any Goldwing mechanics in my neck of the woods who you think might be up for this BIG challenge!

Thanks!

Sam
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!

Sam
Hello Sam, welcome to the forum.

The only guy that I can think of is J.C. Cycle in Collingwood area. He only works on Gold Wings, and he has his own shop. He's up in age, so I'd suggest you give him a call to see if he's up for the job. I will private message you his number.

here was my 1982 GL1100 I use to own.

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
837 Posts
Go get on the naked wing club and post your request there. I am working sporadically on two GL1000s and have had lots of help on that forum. Great folks here but most of us ride more modern bikes. The naked wing bunch runs what you are dealing with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts