Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ya'll. I'm John from the Great state of Michigan. I live close to the Big Mac bridge. Finally I sold my 2003 Honda Shadow and picked up a Goldwing. What a difference. I LOVE the Wing. I will never go back to a plain bike again.

I have a question about tires. This Wing I purchased needs new tires. A friend of mine told me I need to put on the Dunlop E3s. Man are those expensive. Is there any other tire out there that would be compatible with the Dunlop E3?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site John. I've never been one ot mix different tires on my bikes, but I'm sure it's possible. there's a couple riders here that might;) recommend a certain car tire:eek: with a front E3 though:D What year/model your bike is might mean limited choices of brands too if it's an older one. E3's are very popular, and Bridgestones are too, at least for the 1800's. I think E3's on the 1500's are right up there, but Metzlers are good.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Some folks have used Avon or Bridgestone's on their wing. Dunlop is the OEM tire..

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I have E3's right now and like em pretty good.....but when the time comes....I am looking very hard at the Kuhmo CT. Don't tell anyone though. BTW Welcome to the forum.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello john, welcome to GWOF. i use dunlop e3's on both my wings but i have had dunlops on almost all of my bikes going back to my first street bike

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can't help much with tire info, but welcome from down about the 195 mile marker on I-75
Jerry

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I've been running E-3 on my 93 -1500, Now on my 3rd set I think, I get around 17,000 to 19,000 on a set.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Welcome John from Central Washington. Yes you will fully enjoy the Wing. Ride safe.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. I have Avon tires on my 1800 and I like them so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the welcome call. Sounds like the E3s are still the way to go. I just can't believe my local honda dealer is going to charge me $175 to put on the front and back tire. Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Is that $175 just to mount the tires ? Will you be buying the tires from the said dealership ? My last set of " motorcycle " tires I purchase from the dealership at different times cost me this. Front tire $143.99, mounting and balance $43.20. Rear tire $225.99, mounting and balance$ 62.40.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No my dealer wants over $230 per tire. I can get the Dunlop E3s at Dennis Kirk for about $160. So if I purchase the tires elsewhere, my dealer is going to charge me $175 to mount them. I really think this is high but not sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I need to ask me dealer how much it would cost me to mount and balance the tires if I purchased the tires from them. I know they most likely will charge a lot more for the service if I don't purchase the tires from them. I just asked them how much to do it. They quoted me $175. So I guess I need to add up the cost from purchasing from DK and having my dealer mount them and purchasing the tires from the dealer. Weight it out I guess. Just didn't know if $175 was a lot. I have a 94 SE. I watched some youtube videos on how to change the rear tire but later found out that on a newer wing it's easy... Not so with a '94.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
I'd check the area for an independent shop. Most times their rates are better.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Basic, I don't know what going rates are at the shops are where you're located. There's the better part of an hour or better labour to remove, take off, mount, balance and reinstall both tires and wheels. $175 isn't way out of line especially if you didn't purchase the tires from there. Online stores like Denis Kirk are great, but the rub is once they take over the (sales only) market, you will eventually have no brick and mortar store to take your bike to and have the tires mounted. We eventually all lose in that case. I've said it before, there's more to a sale than just the initial price on the cheque you write;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have ran the E3s on my 1500. They are ok but I have had good luck with Brigstone tires too. They are a little cheaper to buy and seem to wear just as good as the E3s. I needed a rear tire on a recent 9200 mile trip to Ak. and had to buy a E3 on the road because it was all I could find. I paid as much for the E3 as I did for the two stones I brought on-line before I started the trip. I had a tire blow, an E3, at 70 mph with my wife on the back a few years back and I've leaned towards the brigstones ever since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts