9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just bought a 82 gl 1100. Are there any problem
Are that I schould be concerned with? It has
77,000 miles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from California! My first big bike was a GL1100. I do not know what your experience level nor your mechanical level is, but here is what I would recommend if you do not do your own mechanical & if you have not ridden in a few years:

Find a mechanic that specializes in Goldwings, especially if he likes older bikes, and pay to have him go through the bike from front to back & check it for safety. Alternately, just go through the owner's manual & check all the fluids. There's probably specific instructions here on how to change your oil & final drive oil.

If you live near a metropolitan area, take a MSF basic course (even if you used to ride), or an experienced rider course if you have ridden in the last few years.

The GWRRA is a great organization. I'f recommend joining it, especially since the Wing Dings are generally in your part of the world.

Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Welcome from Central Washington. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello scodo68, welcome to GWOF. timing belts are #1 on the list of things to replace

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. The guys with the 1100 experience will chime in here shortly. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome aboard. Going to move this thread up to the new members section btw:D

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Timing Belts, brakes, tires and all fluids (Oil,brake and clutch fuilds and coolant).
From the Northwest Corner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havent taken delivery of it yet but there seams to be a slight knocking noise around 3000 rpm i was told that is preaty common on that year.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I would look into that noise issue a little more before I purchased it. I rode with a few 1100's this weekend and I did not hear that but I wasn't listening for it either.

I am sure there would be others on this forum that would be in the know. Perhaps starting a new thread might find them reading and answering your concern regarding a knock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Indiana

Welcome to the forum, I too live in Indiana. Where in Indiana are you located I' m in Rushville . Good luck with the bike :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts