Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

My name is Pete, I've been riding mostly cruisers for just about 25 years and finally decided that I needed something a little more comfortable.

With this in mind I picked up my first Goldwing just this past Monday evening. I ended up getting a leftover 2008 loaded (No Airbag) and I have to say that I absolutely love it. While I loved my cruisers (my last one was a 2006 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100C2) I only enjoyed riding them relatively short distances with my new GoldWing I have the desire to do much farther then ever before. I can see how people refer to these as the luxury liners or Cadillac of motorcycles.

Obviously the difference between my cruisers and my Goldwing is night and day but I can see myself going on some long, long rides.

As soon as I bought the bike I looked for different groups / forums and found this one. Now that I have the new bike I am hoping that I will be able to pick up some good tips as to what equipment I should add and what I should avoid.

Here's to hoping that I continue to enjoy my new purchase for many years to come.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Welcome lot's of discussion here.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF pete. thay say that a goldwing is a touring bike but i find it to be a fun multipurpose bike for street riding

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Here's to hoping that I continue to enjoy my new purchase for many years to come.
I'm sure you will have many years of enjoyment out of your new Wing. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the board. We can give you a lot of ideas about what farkles to buy.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi -

My name is Pete, I've been riding mostly cruisers for just about 25 years and finally decided that I needed something a little more comfortable.

With this in mind I picked up my first Goldwing just this past Monday evening. I ended up getting a leftover 2008 loaded (No Airbag) and I have to say that I absolutely love it. While I loved my cruisers (my last one was a 2006 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100C2) I only enjoyed riding them relatively short distances with my new GoldWing I have the desire to do much farther then ever before. I can see how people refer to these as the luxury liners or Cadillac of motorcycles.

Obviously the difference between my cruisers and my Goldwing is night and day but I can see myself going on some long, long rides.

As soon as I bought the bike I looked for different groups / forums and found this one. Now that I have the new bike I am hoping that I will be able to pick up some good tips as to what equipment I should add and what I should avoid.

Hi, Pete

I'm riding a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner which I love but because of a number of spine surgeries I'm planning on buying a leftover GW next year. It's nice to year that you are so happy with your bike. I keep hearing from friends with Harleys and other cruisers that I'll be sorry or that I might as well just buy a car. I know it's a totally different bike but it seems to be a no brainer that it is certainly going to give me a better ride and I certainly have never heard anyone complain about their decision to go with a wing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Pete

I'm riding a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner which I love but because of a number of spine surgeries I'm planning on buying a leftover GW next year. It's nice to year that you are so happy with your bike. I keep hearing from friends with Harleys and other cruisers that I'll be sorry or that I might as well just buy a car. I know it's a totally different bike but it seems to be a no brainer that it is certainly going to give me a better ride and I certainly have never heard anyone complain about their decision to go with a wing.
Well I haven't had my GW for long but the more I ride it the more I want to ride which I can't say about my last few bikes. I'm now itching to go on a LONG ride but that might not happen until next year due to my work schedule (I work Graveyard).

The place I got my bike from had one other 2008 left over in stock and a completely decked out 2007 used one with only 1000 miles on it. That is the bike that I took for a test drive and sold me on a GW. I just wasn't in love with the color which is why I decided to go with the one I have and I couldn't be happier.

I'd say go and take one for a test drive if at all possible, while I doubt you'll be able to take a new one for a test drive you should be able to take a used one for a ride.

If / when you get it maybe we will meet up for a ride sometime :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
We're not that far from each other. I looked at a left-over at Bettencourts over in West Bridgewater and they will let you test drive once you've made your mind up that you're ready to make a deal. One of the few dealers around that still let you do that. I'm south of you down near Fairhaven, MA. Was changing foot position from a cruiser with floorboards an issue at all? And yes, I hope we get the chance next season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out Greater Boston Motorsports in Arlington they actually are part of a group of several other dealers like Sky Cycles, Parkway Cycles and Cycles 128 to name a few. They are the closest, really the only dealer near me. They didn't give me any pain whatsoever to take a test drive on a used one. All they asked is if I've had my license for more than 3 years and signed a paper stating exactly that - I thought it was a waiver or something but it really wasn't.

As for the seating position it is very different which is what I like the most and is what made all the difference in the world for me. With my cruisers I ended up getting a pinched nerve in my neck which caused my pinkie and ring fingers on my right hand to go numb while riding. Needless to say that was a reason for me to switch bikes alone. So far **Knock on Wood** with the GW I haven't had the issue at all.

That said the GW that I have does not have foot boards it actually has very large foot pegs (the passenger does though). My biggest adjustment was when I would come to a stop I would hit the foot pegs for some reason or even the kick stand when I went to put my feet down. Kind of scared the you know what out of me a few times which I think is mostly from the different seating position, I adjusted within a few hours and it isn't an issue whatsoever.

I'm not sure about foot boards on GW, I might look in to them at some point but there isn't a whole lot of room for you to put your feet down as it is and I think that might actually get in the way for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm certainly willing to help as much as I can.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I'm not sure about foot boards on GW, I might look in to them at some point but there isn't a whole lot of room for you to put your feet down as it is and I think that might actually get in the way for me.
If you are short/vertically challanged the floorboards become an issue. I have a 29 inch inseam and floorboards would not work for me. If you have a longer inseam it should be okay. You see a lot of Wings with them on.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Two Wheel is correct. I have Floorbards on mine & wouldn't want to do without them. However I have 32" inseam & have no issues. I can tell you the reason I love them is it allows for a shift of position on long rides, which is also why I have ISO highway pegs. When I hit the interstate or long stretches I throw my feet up on ISOs & it gives you similar comfort to forward controls. You cruiser guys/Harley boys will understand that I'm sure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Pete, congrats on the Wing. It's an awesome machine. Its got it all...power, luxury, reliability and you can still throw them around in the twisties. I've had mine for about 3 months now. The longer the ride, the better. In fact, my metric cruiser riding buddies are crippled up pretty bad at the end of a run but my butt, back, shoulders, everything is perfect. I don't have floor boards because I'm not a big fan of them. I do have the ISO highway pegs but I don't really need them. I've done some very long runs and the seat/foot positions couldn't be better. The ISO pegs are good for a leg stretch every so often, though. I says to the the little lady that we better leave the passports at home because once we hit the highway, I want to go on forever! Safe ridin', man. Lyndon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts