Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Hello from a Saskatchewan Newbie

870 views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  johnglr3553 
#1 ·
Hello All, I have recently purchased a 2000 Goldwing 1500. Seems to be a great bike and |I am looking forward to putting some Kilometers on it. I have had it a couple weeks and have put approximately 1200 kms on it. It is originally an American bike so the Miles Per hour is prominently displayed, not a huge issue for an old fart that used to life with MPH before we switched. I have wanted a Goldwing since I got my license in 1979. My first Bike was 1971 CB750 with what was called a "Wind Jammer" fairing. I loved that bike, it had air horns installed and |I loved scaring the poop out of people with those.
I do have a couple questions, trying to make my ride a bit more comfortable for my wife and me. is there a decent set of Bluetooth head phones I can set up that will work well when riding, so my wife can give me directions.....or make comments on my lack of operating skills. (she's good back there, I'm just trying to be funny) I would also like some way of mounting my cell phone and a drink holder, my coffee cup sits precariously in the left fairing pouch on my ride to work, there has to be a better way.
I am a bit curious on the gas mileage. I have been using premium and getting roughly 120-140 miles out of a tank of gas, seems poor, but I do not really have an idea what I was to expect, I was just told that it was horrible for the 1500?
I'm looking forward to chatting with others and riding through the summer and hopefully into the fall, good to meet you all!

SaskStu (Stu)

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you! Enjoy your weekend and I hope the weather there is good for a ride.

Welcome to you from Mississippi. Enjoy the ride.

That fuel mileage (kilometerage?) seems a bit low. Air filter change? I'm sure there are some 1500 people here who will speak up to that shortly.

Blue tooth headsets are plenty. A lot of people like the Cardo Packtalk. I'm sure opinions vary.
Good morning, thank you for the reply, good to meet you. I will have a look at the air filter today. Those headsets are quite expensive, I a cheap old man…..I may stick with just my ear buds lol. Great information though and I will search the internet for something similar and hopefully a bit less $$’s.

Welcome from the northern tier of PA. My 1500 averaged 40 mpg. A tune up may be in order. In my opinion using premium fuel is a waste of money. I ran 87 octane in my 1500 and my 1800 with no problems. Check on the internet for cup holders. Most mount to the handlebars. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.
Good to wet you, I will have a look for the cup holders, with the way the Goldwing is set up, I thought it might be tough to find the righ ones. Have a great weekend.
Stu

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum from Southern Oregon, I have to agree with what SuperDave posted. When I had my 1500 I was getting around 220 miles to a tank of gas and yes, using premium fuel is a waste of money, these bikes are designed for 87 octane fuel. How many miles on the bike, do you know when the air filter was changed and is a spark plug change in order, both of these can effect the fuel mileage on the bike. How does the bike run, does it feel sluggish, does the engine respond to the throttle quickly? If these answers are Yes and No then you may need to do a carburetor sync.

#9 ·
Welcome from Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta! Enjoy the new to you ride! Also, post a pic of your GW when you get a chance.

#15 ·
I will post a photo soon, I have put on a few k's and am enjoying the feel. My wife is ready for a nap behind me, glad she trusts my abilities, I feel a bit shaky after a few years away.

they are very speed sensitive
my 98SE would give me 33 mpg cruising at 75mph
but could see 42mpg if I slowed to 55mph

wingstuff has lots of bling and such for 1500s and up
Thank you for the friendly welcome, what a great group of people here. I took a quick look at the Wingstuff page, great tip, thank you! I have been a bit overzealous on the throttle, but have not done a lot of high speed runs, just up to the speed limits and cruising. Others have mentioned the airfilter and plugs. I will probably start there. Is there a good fuel conditioner you would recommend? Another response mentioned Seafoam, I have heard mixed reviews, especially for winterizing, so I am bit leary.

40-41 mpg, not sure what that is In kilometers, but mpg goes down when you cruise above 3000 rpm. Also You will get better gas mileage on regular than premium. I’m no help regarding Bluetooth. I’m still wired .
LOL, I have been using kms since the eighties and I still don't know how to convert worth a damn! I do know, in mpg, the higher the number the better and in metric, the lower the liters per 100 kilometers the better!
One thing I think I need some help with id how do I start removing all the plastic to start checking stuff out? I am a bit worried about pulling too hard and breaking stuff. With my older bikes they were basically plastic nobs pushed through rubber grommets, is it still the same?

Stu

#12 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.

My 1500 would get an average of 44 mpg out on the road. Maybe run a tank with some SeaFoam additive. Premium fuel is a waste of money.

May I suggest a Butler cup and holder.

Reactions: GLblinded
#13 ·
Welcome to GWOF forum from the southeast tier of Pennsylvania.

Yep, Bluetooth headsets are expensive BUT - I have the Sena 50s w/Freewire 2.0 for my 1800. The Freewire gives me access to all the audio components on the Wing and the 50s has allowed me to cut the cord. The additional advantage of my Sena (I don't know if Cardo has the same options) is I can get the headset clamp kit for $130 (USD) for additional helmets and just move the 50s from one helmet to another without having to retune or get additional wired units. I have an open face, modular, and full face that I alternate between depending on the weather. Wired units are about $250'ish each w/added connecting lower cables from J&M, so I would be at about $800 for all three helmets. With the Sena 50s the headset clamp set I only need 2 of the sets so the overall cost is under $800.

I am loving not having to unplug the cord to fill the gas tank, tuck the lower cable somewhere when I stop for a break, or just having to make sure I don't twist and bend the cable when putting the helmet away. Also, since I ride 2 different bikes I can pair to the Garmin Zumo 595LM on the wing and the Zumo 660 on my Vulcan to enjoy music and ride directions no matter which bike I'm on.

Reactions: GLblinded
#14 ·
Hello All, I have recently purchased a 2000 Goldwing 1500. Seems to be a great bike and |I am looking forward to putting some Kilometers on it. I have had it a couple weeks and have put approximately 1200 kms on it. It is originally an American bike so the Miles Per hour is prominently displayed, not a huge issue for an old fart that used to life with MPH before we switched. I have wanted a Goldwing since I got my license in 1979. My first Bike was 1971 CB750 with what was called a "Wind Jammer" fairing. I loved that bike, it had air horns installed and |I loved scaring the poop out of people with those.
I do have a couple questions, trying to make my ride a bit more comfortable for my wife and me. is there a decent set of Bluetooth head phones I can set up that will work well when riding, so my wife can give me directions.....or make comments on my lack of operating skills. (she's good back there, I'm just trying to be funny) I would also like some way of mounting my cell phone and a drink holder, my coffee cup sits precariously in the left fairing pouch on my ride to work, there has to be a better way.
I am a bit curious on the gas mileage. I have been using premium and getting roughly 120-140 miles out of a tank of gas, seems poor, but I do not really have an idea what I was to expect, I was just told that it was horrible for the 1500?
I'm looking forward to chatting with others and riding through the summer and hopefully into the fall, good to meet you all!

SaskStu (Stu)
40-41 mpg, not sure what that is In kilometers, but mpg goes down when you cruise above 3000 rpm. Also You will get better gas mileage on regular than premium. I’m no help regarding Bluetooth. I’m still wired .

This post has been deleted
#19 ·

SaskStu (Stu)
Welcome to the forum and the Goldwing world! I had a 1988 1500 (first edition) and I had pretty decent gas mileage. Only 120-140 miles to a tank of petrol is pretty bad. Honda designed the Goldwing boxer engines to run primarily on regular fuel. My '86 1200 and my '88 1500 got pretty grumpy when I put premium in the tank. The air filter is a bear to get to but not hard to change. I would suggest going to a K&N air filter for better breathing and to give yourself a little more time between changes. Based on the poor gas mileage I would also suggest a new set of spark plugs in case the original owner ran some questionable petroleum products through the engine. Enjoy the bike. You've just purchased one of the best machines for all-day fun and comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.