Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just joined the forum I have been reading and searching here for about a year now and have received great information and knowledge from this site! I am from New Mexico and ride a 1999 SE Goldwing. I do have a question, I am replacing the front tire and need some advice, do I need to grease the axle before re-installing? If so, what type of grease do you recomend? Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello mike, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from your neighbor to the east, Texas.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Welcome from the Keystone state. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Hello Mike from NM....Welcome to the Forum

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I used what I had in the garage. Hi-temp wheel bearing grease.
I would guess most any bearing grease would be ok.
I know there are issues on the back wheel where there is air space where conventional grease can leave the center spline at high rpms but the front axle is enclosed so I don't remember ever hearing any discussions about the front needing special attention or moly 60 like the rear wheel needs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Mike Welcome I to just joined the forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
The axle doesn't get greased, the bearings are a non-serviceable sealed unit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Mike! Welcome to the forums.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Mike, cantakerous is right, the axel doesn't get greased, just the dust seal cavity and the manual says to pack the bearings with grease as well as coating the speedometer gear with grease. Not sure if there are sealed bearings available or not. Honda recommends not re-using the removed bearings, just replacing with new. Also make sure any grease is wiped off the outside surfaces of the dust seals, and not to get any on the brake discs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the welcome, and thank you Cantankerous for the info on the axel. It's great to be part of the Goldwing family!
Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome Mike! This is a great place to hang out!

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Welcome Mike, cantakerous is right, the axel doesn't get greased, just the dust seal cavity and the manual says to pack the bearings with grease as well as coating the speedometer gear with grease. Not sure if there are sealed bearings available or not. Honda recommends not re-using the removed bearings, just replacing with new. Also make sure any grease is wiped off the outside surfaces of the dust seals, and not to get any on the brake discs.
Sorry about that, according to my manual there are (or were) both types available, I didn't read far enough, I stand corrected. :eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts