Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. Happy March. My name is Jeff, I am 50 years old and I am a long time, hard-core, Connie 1000 rider. So is my wife. I have to say this, because she would hit me if I didn’t.

Everybody of my ilk knows that the Connie 1000 is a tall and top-heavy bitch. But I cope, only embarrassing myself a couple times a year.

This may sound like a dumb question, but here it goes:

Hard comparison to make, I know, but how does the Goldwing 6, in comparison to the Connie 1000 match up in stop-and-go, parking lot speeds, two up, fully loaded stuff. You know what I mean. Does anyone have any long time experience on both and how would a rider like me – 5’11”, 175 - fit in to a Goldwing?

I would appreciate your opinion and thank you for your time.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
I think he means a Kawasaki Concours

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
You gotta love Motorcycle lingo don't you. Jeff you sent all of us Wing guys for a loop with that.

1st Welcome & I think you will get the info you need here.

2nd I'm the same heigth as you & probably another 10 -15 lbs heavier give or take one of my wife's homemade desserts. You won't have an issue with a Wing I don't believe. The best thing to do is find a dealer to test ride one at. That can be a little tricky I've heard.

3rd I also think your wife will love riding on the back.

Just one Fossil's opinion

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
I found one . They classify these as " Touring " bikes ? That's a crotch rocket. Definite forward leaning position. I guess it builds back muscles. How can one enjoy the scenery all hunched over like that ?

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Jethro, I can relate. I had a 97 Connie, and loved it. I think you will find the Wing will fit just about any application. I am 6'4", (and now down to) 220. Although a bit top heavy with a full load of gas, the Connie is probably a bit more nimble in town. The 1800 GW's are much better than the older ones, but none of them are really a problem. On the road is where the Wing excells. Think Cadillac vs Camaro. Both will do the same job, but one will be a bit more comfortable.

The 1000 CC Connie is a great bike, but you can't beat the Wing for two up riding over the long haul. I am sure I will now catch it from the REAL Wing riders on this site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
all i can say about it is that after going from the vtx 1800 to the wing is that when i'm doing twisties and on and off ramps i feel like the tires of the wing are glued to the pavement

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Welcome Jethro, glad to have you aboard, by the way guys I'm glad I'm not the only one that did'nt know what the he?? a Connie was. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again everybody. Thanks for responding. You guys are funny.

The Concours (Connie) 1000 was in continuous production for 20 years. And yes, Chopin114, it has medium sport bike handlebars in lean angle, got to a more upright position with Heli bars from Maine.

Fossil92 - I live in the Sacramento, CA area. I've called around up here and I can't get a test ride from anybody. The motorcycle market in this area has been hammered hard. Thinking about doing a test ride on a friend's Wing. He's not selling it, I'm just going to ride the crap out of it one weekend.

Calbigbird - Have you ever dropped your Goldwing? If you have how hard is it to get it back up with two people who are willin, but old?

g-poppy - I know that feeling of being glued. The old Concours with it's old frame and suspension setup, hooks pretty good.

Thanks everybody. If you don't mind, i will post after my riding experience in two weeks. This will actually be my first experience on a Goldwing 6. 2005, don't know the original color, it's a re-paint. And no, I'm not going to lean it over hard like I do my Connie... I hope.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome. You are about to have some of the most fun and enjoyment of your riding life.
It won't take long,you won't be able to resist a good twistie on the Wing. Speaking of YouTube,you must visit there and ck.out Yellow Wolf at Deals Gap. This will show you the capability of this wonderful bike. Enjoy. Look forward to your ride report.
Ken from Fl. '94 1500SE

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello again everybody. Thanks for responding. You guys are funny.

The Concours (Connie) 1000 was in continuous production for 20 years. And yes, Chopin114, it has medium sport bike handlebars in lean angle, got to a more upright position with Heli bars from Maine.

Fossil92 - I live in the Sacramento, CA area. I've called around up here and I can't get a test ride from anybody. The motorcycle market in this area has been hammered hard. Thinking about doing a test ride on a friend's Wing. He's not selling it, I'm just going to ride the crap out of it one weekend.

Calbigbird - Have you ever dropped your Goldwing? If you have how hard is it to get it back up with two people who are willin, but old?

g-poppy - I know that feeling of being glued. The old Concours with it's old frame and suspension setup, hooks pretty good.

Thanks everybody. If you don't mind, i will post after my riding experience in two weeks. This will actually be my first experience on a Goldwing 6. 2005, don't know the original color, it's a re-paint. And no, I'm not going to lean it over hard like I do my Connie... I hope.
I only hope your friend warned you ------ DONT TEST RIDE A WING UNLESS YOU PLAN TO BUY ONE -----THEY ARE VERY ADDICTIVE.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF jethro59, yes i knew what a connie was ( is )

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
Hey there Jethro, welcome and good question. Your Connie is closer to the Honda ST models, and as mentioned they are terrific bikes. I have a friend that has one of each (1000 & 1400) model. He wouldn't trade one of them for anything, until he and I rode on a quick trip (he on his 1000 and me on my ST1300) three summers back. He was amazed at the ST's comfort (I had a Corbin seat on it) and performance. Now yes the Connie gave a substanitial edge to the Honda in cc and hp, but the finesse and feel of the ST was a big step up, and yes there was an 8 year difference in age. Currently the 1400 punches out more jam than the ST1300, but the actual performance isn't that far off. When I asked him if he wanted to ride my Wing last summer he politely declined citing the lack of disposable income to deal with another surprise showing by a rival brand bike, especially one of the Goldwing's talent and sophistication. Having ridden both the 1000 and 1400 Concours, yes they are top heavy, the 1000 being the worse of the two. I liked the 1400 immensely, very much sportier and raw spirited, but it didn't have the slick quality feel I found with my ST. After spending over a decade on the 'dark side' riding 2 Harley's and 2 other Japanese cruisers, I couldn't believe the changes in feel and build quality being back on a Honda. The switch from the ST back to a Wing after a fifteen year hiatus was as natural as could be, and a welcome upgrade for my wife; she was actually as big an influence as anything when time to buy came along. Do take a test ride if you can, and if a dealer won't comply, there are thousands of us around that would certainly be more than willing to let you ride one of ours (I'm sure I speak for many of us). Good luck, and btw, you and I are the same height, I'm a tad heavier at 200#, and only 3 years older.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
to compare

There is no comparison, get an 1832cc Wing. Don't look back. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good video about lifting a MC Joe. Like the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" in this case a video.Hey, I ride like Chester all the time in the Shopping Mall parking lot,whats so special anyway? And if you beleive that I've got a nice bridge to sell. LOL :)

-Robert-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts