Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody! i'm a new guy to the world of goldwings. i have recently acquired an 84 gl1200I. when i say acquired i mean it was given to me :cool: i don't know a thing about these bikes other than they are HUGE compared to my 79 honda nc50 express moped. this bike that i have has been sitting for a long time. according to the odometer it has 3,912 miles. its a bit rough cosmetically but hey it was free right?! looking forward to talking to you all. as soon as i can figure out how to post a picture i will.

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Howdy Kev. I had many years and 160,000+ miles on my '84 Interstate. Do your homework on your new baby and enjoy. Yes they are large compared to a moped, but are really gentle beasts and very manageable.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
hello everybody! i'm a new guy to the world of goldwings. i have recently acquired an 84 gl1200I. when i say acquired i mean it was given to me :cool: i don't know a thing about these bikes other than they are HUGE compared to my 79 honda nc50 express moped. this bike that i have has been sitting for a long time. according to the odometer it has 3,912 miles. its a bit rough cosmetically but hey it was free right?! looking forward to talking to you all. as soon as i can figure out how to post a picture i will.
Kevino: Some of us " senior members " can't figure out how to post good pictures on the forum site. So we veteran dummies us a free public upload site for our pictures . If you have the pictures on your computer, click on the supplied link and follow it through, then post the link in your comment. Link : http://drop.io/

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well I must say you are one lucky GW, (Free ) And welcome to the Site from WIS. I'm sure you will have enjoyable days a head riding.

WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
201 Posts
An 84 interstate with under 4,000 miles,unheard of, did you get it out of a motorcycle museum some place LOL. Welcome to the GWOF kevino. Take your time,get to know your ride,find a manual if you can and check the websites Bill posted. Still lots of 80's GW's running around, tried and true machines,made for a long life.

-Robert-

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on a FREE Wing. Got the whole winter to get her ready to ride. Talk about low miles too. put that much on mine in the first 30 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got some bad news last night. went to change the oil and out came a nice chocolate milkshake :eek: any ideas on where the coolant is coming from? head gaskets? are there any problem areas that these bikes have on coolant in the oil?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Chocolate milkshakes are not good in an engine. You might want to flush everything out and change oil. Could just be a case of sitting so long that everything is contaminated. Don't automatically assume the worst. Good luck, seems you have a big project on your hands, but once you get it done you will have a great bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bets thing to do is GET A REPAIR MANUAL

I purchased a GL1100 and fortunately for me, it came with a repair manual. Good thing because the first thing I had to do was replace the stator. FUN, FUN, but I learned a lot about the bike. They are easy to work on, just time consuming for a weekend mechanic.

If you can get it to turn, check compression. Hard to find a threaded compression tester. Might have to go to a bike service place for that. Threads are not the same as cars and I couldn't find one at any auto parts store. the plug type testers might be fine, but I find them to not be as accurate as the threaded ones. If both side and all four cylinders have about the same compression, you should be good. If not, you are likely just looking at a head gasket replacement. Fortunately Honda has a gasket maker that is WONDERFUL. They use it to actually seal the two halves of the motor together. I found some at a local bike repair shop and he just let me borrow some when I put my carbs back on.

Good luck with it and once you get it running, let us know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts