Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m an owner of a Silverwing and want to move up to the Goldwing. Looking to do longer cruises and also would trailer the bike.
I was wondering what things experienced Gwing riders consider “essential“ as I’m beginning shopping. What are some things to know about the Gwing that a newbie should be aware of. any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and ride safely

·
Super Moderator
28,133 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from AZ.

Some things to think about.

1500 or 1800? I would say if you are a mechanic you could look for even a 1200 but parts are getting scarce

Once you choose then there is more to consider.

1500 look for anything 1995 or newer

1800 1st Generation or 2nd Generation or even the New Machine.
I would start by reading this link and then start to close in on a decision after that.

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

As fossil92 stated, it depends on what you are looking for. A 1500 is roomier and more comfortable, where the 1800 is more confined, but much sportier. If you are looking at an 1800, try to find one 2006 or newer. Nothing wrong with the older ones, but most bugs were worked out by then.

Reactions: dsurley and NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I love my 1800. Things essential for me were to be noticeable - fog lights, trunk spoiler for an extra brake light up high, Then comfort - seat, highway pegs, backrest. The rest is just for show and some like lots of chrome, some just a touch, some none. I travel solo and find it has plenty of room for my stuff and a cooler on the back seat for adult beverages. If I camp the tent can ride on top of the cooler.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I have a "12" 1800 that I enjoy very much. Make sure recalls have been done on the bike. Maintenance records are great if they are available. Good luck with the search.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like Dave I have a 2012 model in the fastest color. This was the start of what Fossil called the 2nd generation 1800. I have had zero problems with my bike and appreciate the changes from the 1st. generation, but the 2nd generation by no means is a big step better. Now the 2018 and later are a much different bike.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome from Chocolate town Pa and wishing you miles of smiles.😁 Browse the ads and bike shops when you find the right one you will know, trust me on this it will as Fossil says call to your soul and you will have a friend for life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I’m starting to see that a 2014-2018 1800 with comfort package looks appealing. My wife wants comfort as a top priority.
Seeing ABS and NAV options also. How good is the NAV equipment for cruising.
Lots of choices and info to absorb.
I’m not afraid to travel a bit to get the right bike if necessary.
The journey has begun. One of my favorite quotes. “Not all those who wander are lost”

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
While I don't have the NAV, there are many that do. I see a lot of complaints on the system and there are those that would rather use a separate GPS or their phone.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I have the Nav on my 2015 and I would rate it a 6 out of 10. I use it but other GPS I have are much better. The input system is so slow, a touch screen would have been awesome. It will get you from Point A - B but as some on this forum will attest that might include a gravel road/trail over a mountain in a rain storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I have the Nav on my 2015 and I would rate it a 6 out of 10. I use it but other GPS I have are much better. The input system is so slow, a touch screen would have been awesome. It will get you from Point A - B but as some on this forum will attest that might include a gravel road/trail over a mountain in a rain storm.

I am one of those that will so attest!!! I use mine also but find that after setting up routes and loading them into the GPS it just recalculates to get me from point A to point B without any of the scenic diversions that I had programmed in. Also most functions are locked down unless you are stopped. I think most would be happier with a stand alone GPS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts