Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I just made an agreement to purchase a 1982 Goldwing today. This will be my first Goldwing and I am curious if any of you can tell me anything I may want to be on the look out for.

I currently own a 1983 Yamaha Venture and it has certain known issues that I have had to deal with and I am curious about the 82 Wing.

I didn't have a whole lot of time to research this bike but the price was right (I am only paying 500 for it). So I would appreciate any advice. The bike has been sitting in a barn for the past 5 or 6 years so in addition to the general fix up stuff is there anything I need to know. As far as I know it was running when it was parked but obviously is going to need some work to get running again.

Anyway, greetings to all and I look forward to hearing from those of you who are experienced in the ways of the Goldwing

Brad Schmidt

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Here Are A Few Things You Will Want To Know ... Have The Belts Been Changed And What If Any Repairs Have Been Done ... I Will Leave This Info. Here And Let Others Post Their THOUGHTS ... Happy Trails ...

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
If the bike has been sitting in a barn for 5 years you need to check if any critters have been chewing on hoses or wiring. Drain the fuel out of it and fill with fresh stuff. Most of the fluids should be drained, like oil, clutch and brake fluids and radiator. Once you have the fluids changed and a new fully charged battery give it a try.

Check to make sure the brakes are good and rotors are okay. Probably will need a fresh set of tires. Now your ready to ride. Enjoy and be safe...

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... TIRES ARE A MUST REPLACEMENT ... A LITTLE KNOW SECRET IS TIRES ONLY HAVE A 6 yr. SHELF LIFE FOR SAFE OPERATION AND THIS INCLUDES CAR AND TRUCK TIRES ... ALSO WHILE DOING FLUIDS CHANGE THE RADITOR HOSES ... HAPPY TRAILS ... GOOD POST ABOUT THE CRITTERS 2-WHEEL ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some Updates

Hey all,

I had a chance to do a more thorough inspection of the bike and get the VIN and such

It is a 1982 GL1100I with 84994 miles on it.

Amazingly the bike seems to be in impeccable condition except for the layer of dust covering it. All of the plastic is still intact and seems largely undamaged except for a very small (about 1/2 inch long) in the left hand saddle bag.

It does not have any signs of being tipped over or layed down and everything seems to be in working condition with the exception og the front brake and the throttle cables.

The throttle cables seem to move but seem stiff may just need some WD-40 or something. I'll know more when I begin working on it

The front brake seems to just need a good flushing of the system and cleaning of the components.

Even the tires seem to be in near brand new condition. I was very surprised by this because it has actually been sitting longer than I first thought, it has not been registered since 1999. but there is not dry rot or cracking of the rubber at all. It actually looks like a tire sitting on the shelf at the store. Of course I will have to check them more closely before I ride just to be on the safe side. But a preliminary checks seems to be very positive and I should be able to get the bike back to safe ridable condition with much less work, time and money than I thought. All of which makes the purchase price all that much better.

I am just glad that I have a friend who has many many years fixing and restoring bikes to help me.

But again if anyone has any suggestions on model specific issuse I should be on the look out for I appreciate it.

Preacher

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would still be suspect of the tires no matter how good they look. Like Ronzilla said, consider the shelf life. You only have two pieces of rubber on the ground, losing one in flight is not a good thing. Getting stranded far from home takes the joy out of a good ride.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Son just finished putting an 82 Aspencade on the road that sat for 5 years,he paid $500 for it as well. It would'nt Idle properly. He took the Carbs off cleaned them out properly put them back on and now it runs okay. The choke cable is stlill tight, he reaches down and trips the choke on the carb by hand for now.He adjusted the valves and put 20-50 oil in it which quietened it down (NOT SYNTHETIC OIL) Synthetic is too slippery and screws up the clutching. He added Satellite radio to the onboard Stereo and now he's got himself a good full Dresser to run along with my 85 GW Limited Edition :) A tip: crack the drain screw one at a time on each Carb. at the beginning of each season and let some gas drain out, it helps get rid of the stale gas,I Always did that on my 83 Interstate.

Robert
Terrace BC Canada

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Bstar ... Made A Good Point About Stale Gas ... With This Crappy Fuel We Get These Days Make Sure To Use A Fuel Stabilizer ... I Use The "ethanol Stabil" ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First thing I would do is find out why it was sitting so long, most 1100 & 1200's will have stator problems, except the SEI models which had a bigger stator. If it is bad or if the stator has never been replaced I would replace it while you are doing all the other work. I had one on my 85 go out at 49,000 miles, had a friend with an 85 and his went out at 15,000 miles and others went iver 70,000 miles but you can be sure it will go out. There is a plug next to the battery, check it and se if it is burnt, or starting to burn.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts