Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, New member here. My name is Ben and from the great state of Tennessee. I just bought my very first Wing after a long wait to have one. I kind of like the older bikes and purchased a 1985 1200 GoldWing Interstate. The bike has some custom aftermarket stuff that I plan to get rid of and bring back to factory stock condition over the winter and have ready for spring,:D I do plane to go with a frame up restore on this bike as it needs some work (Very little) but still some things to fix. I'm pretty sure the stator is no good from the testing I've done so the motor would have to be pulled anyway for replacment. So anyway, Hello All and hope to be speaking with you very soon as I'm sure I'll need pointers along the way and hope you dont mind asking a few questions.

Question #1 Does anyone make a external bolt on charging system for my bike, from just what I've read the 84-89 1200 have big time stator problems and after all the frame paint work and rebuild I'd like the bike to last a while like a GoldWing should. I rode one in the 70's (Ole 1000) and till this day have never rode anything smoother!
SWEET BIKES!!!!

Best Regards and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all !!!!:D:)

Ole Ben

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcometo the forum Ben! Though I currently ride a 1500, I've also done time on a 1200aspy and a 1000. You'll find lots here, enjoy!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcom Ben from Wis. After 34 years running around on a CB-750 I purchased a GW 1982 A. It was in great shape, but so far I have stuck in over $1000 and still more to go. But it's going to be a long winter up here, so have plenty of time. I see you have done some home work on whats all out here on help, and so have I. I'm 70 years of age and this is all new to me with all the help and I love it.

Seems like help is just a lick away all the time, and all are so help full. So keep us posted as your new ride develops. Happy New Year.

WA9FWT Phil

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF ben. go over to www.gl1200.com and look for the " poorboy alternator conversion" kit

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and congrats on your new Wing. Lots of great riding in your state. Ride safe and often..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks VERY MUCH for the warm welcome everyone! It's also great to hear that others ride and like the older Wings!! One of the main reasons for buying the older bike is that she's coming up on 25 years old and still a great looking running and looking bike. The engine is smooth as silk and on the test I knew right away I was back on a nice GoldWing!!! PLUS I figured more parts can be bought on on-line auctions and figure the older the bike the more ease in working on it myself. With all the little gadgets they have on bikes now it's nothing less than amazing!!

Buzzard, I looked through about 30 pages on the Alt. conversion, with no luck in finding it.

Thanks again all, I can already tell this is a great forum to be part of!

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!
Ben

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Can't offer you any advise, my Wing is only 10 month's old. But I can offer you a resounding HELLO! Semper Fi! Aviation ordnance, Harrier VMA-513 '74 - '80. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Combatflyer re: alternator do an Goggle search "poorboy alternator conversion" many search results.
Hi Carl, Thanks I found the links and I must say these conversions look very cool and easy to service should charging problems come up again. I just have this gut feeling that buying the would be pretty exspensive and there's some cutting and welding on the frame and mods on many other parts. BUT, Like I say it does look pretty nice and I like that cool whistle (Turbo like sound) that I think the Alt. is putting out.

I've never done the job of changing a stator but have been turning wrenches for 30+ years now, so other than some pointers here and there from the guys on the forum, I think I'll just replace the stator.

I do have another question though, is the 85 model stator for a interstate like mine, would a 85, 86, 87 stator still fit right and give better charging performance?

HEY, By the way ALL, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I wish you all nothing but the BEST in 2010!!!

Thanks again,
Regards,
"Ole" Ben:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts