Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just purchased my first goldwing yesterday and the only major problem is a bad left fork seal. I wanted to ask how I would go about disassemblin, replacing, and reassembling the forks on my own. I have basic knowledge of how to do so, but since my 84 aspencade has TRAC and air assist, I will need more knowledge of how to accomplish this. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Might want to check Ebay for a shop manual.

Ooooh Yah, Welcome the GWOF. Nice bunch hangs out here.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
You have to remove the forks to replace the seals afaik. Also means you probably have to remove the fairing. Then disasssemble the fork tubes and drain the oil. Once you have that done you can see if the springs and bushings are OK. If the springs are original I'd replace them with Progressives since you're already in there anyway. PM me if you need any pages out of the manual to assist you (if you don't have one already).
Yup, welcome along BTW:D

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Welcome you are at the place to be and sorry I can be no help with the forks. I had the Honda do mlne.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the greetings! I can tell this is going to be a great experience.

I do not have a shop manual, but would not dare do anything until I have one. I'll go ahead and ask Boduka.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
Thanks everyone for the greetings! I can tell this is going to be a great experience.

I do not have a shop manual, but would not dare do anything until I have one. I'll go ahead and ask Boduka.
hello felicity true, welcome to GWOF. you are brave! second post and spelling the red barons name wrong, not good :D

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi Felicity and welcome to the GWOF! Congratulations on your Classic Goldwing!

Yes to a good shop manual...I like my Clymer manual. The forks job is not particularly tough, a bit time consuming is all. One option that you might want to try is using a SealMate to clean the seals before deciding to rebuild them. http://sealmate.net/

Unless you know for sure that the fork seals are shot, I'd try it it as it's cheap and effective at removing road crud that works its way into the seals. Even if you rebuild the forks, you'll want a SealMate in your maintenance kit.

If you do rebuild the forks yourself, one thing you'll need is a strong, heavy friend to hold down the tube cap while lining up the threads and tightening down.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the sealmate info! I'll definitely look into it. Haven't cracked down on the bike yet, but when I do ill let you all know how it progresses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
+100 on the Sealmate. It fixed the leaking seal on my KLR. Great piece of cheap kit for the toolbox. It's worth trying before you go the trouble and expense to change your seals. It takes about 5 mins max to fix a leaky seal. Then you can go ride! And eat!

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Welcome from NW Oklahoma.
Attached is a link on youtube for a 97 Goldwing, Google it and you should find a video or info to help you out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts