Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals!

Really excited here, been riding dual sports and enduro bikes a while, but now I am looking at picking up a wing for the comfort and touring factor.

Im am so confused looking at the used availability, as there seems to be alot of models. the 1000, 1100 (is this the aspencade?), 1200, 1300, 1500, and 1800.

Which is best? which has the best reliability? performance? I am not rich, and just want to make sure I get the best bang and longest lasting bike for the money. Most used ones I am seeing in my price range are late 80's to early 90's and have 75000 - 125,000 miles. Any issues I need to be aware of with these bikes? Should I be worried about the miles? I know all the engines are great, but I seem to hear the 1500 is the best and most quiet, smooth, and bulletproof.

Help me out, you guys and glas are the pros! Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome to the GWOF.

To answer some of your questions, the Wing started in 1975. Bikes from then until 1987 were the 1000,1100 and 1200's. Great bikes with lots of good miles left in them. Parts availability seem to be the big issue with them. Not too many shops around will work on the older Wings, but if your handy there is a lot you can do on your own.

From 1988 to 2000 was the 1500. Great bikes with a great engine which had carbs. Many have traveled over 200k miles. Parts are easier to find and many years are interchangeable.

2001 to present is the 1800's. Great engines with FI and again good for many miles. The 1800 is probably the closest to a dual sport you would be familiar with riding.

Lots of choices and wide $$ range. Look around there are many good deals to be had and great Wings to ride. Ride safe and enjoy...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF! This is a great place to ask advice & learn.

I've had an 1100, 1200, 1500 & my new 1800. I think a 1500 would be a good choice for you. They are priced right & there are plenty of them out there. I had a '94 & it was a beauty. The only modification I made was a custom seat.

I asked a friend who's had them all what the difference was between a 1200 & 1500. He said "day & night". Then I asked him about the 1500 & 1800. He said "day & night - don't test ride a 1800 unless you are ready to buy". But the 1500 is the best value out there. But if you want a comfortable sport-bike-like ride, the 1800 is the one. I could settle for either but decided to pay the price and get the 1800.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. If you can get a good price go with a 1800.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello mikej, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF

·
Registered
168 Posts
I purchased my 1st wing new in 03 it was a 1800. At the time I was riding a 03 Voyager 1200 ,I had been warned about test riding the 1800 but did so any way ..came home with a new wing that day...wife did not talk to me for weeks ! LOL

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Mike. If you can find a late model 1500 SE that might be your ticket to bliss if the price fits (I'm guessing at US$ but around $7500 might be ballpark). Personally I'd opt for a '06 with all the bells and whistles if that fits your budget (likely around $10k-$12k) Mileage is usually no concern due to the nature and useage pattern of a Goldwing, and you can usually tell if the bike has been properly cared for. It's not uncommon to see 200,000 on Wings that almost look like they just went home form the dealer floor.;)

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a 1500 or 1800 are the way to go. Are all the Aspencades 1100's?

The Aspencade is a trim level. It was used from 1982(?) to 2000 Wings. The early ones were the top model. In about 1993 the SE became the top model and the Aspencade became the middle level. If you want the on-board compressor and better sound system, go with the Aspencade or SE.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a '91 Aspy that I absolutlely love (as does my wife). She has 90k miles on her (the bike, not my wife) and runs like a top. Regular maintenance is the key with any bike.
I prefer the styling of the 1500's over the 1800's. Would I like the pick up and go of the 1800? S...t, who wouldn't! Would I like the handling of the 1800? S...t, who wouldn't!
But being retired and on a limited budget, I think they'll bury me with my old girl (the bike, not my wife).
Strat

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Best of luck with your search for your wing. Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts