Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I am with the OP stay away from the black one, between the two the red one wins hands down. You said that you smelled gas that might indicate carb problems which on the 1500 are repairable but not for the faint of heart. The condition of the black one shows that the bike was shown no love and probably no maintainence.

Reactions: Blade2005

·
Registered
153 Posts
Run away from the black one. Think about it for a minute. Why is he twisting and untwisting a wire together to get the headlights to work instead of getting a $2 fuse and replacing it? This bike is junk and is not worth the money to buy gasoline to burn it to the ground.

I understand your budget constraints. I won't sugar coat this. Your biggest problem is two fold. 1. Llike others have said, finding a mechanic to work on a bike that is older than 10 yrs. and 2. If and when you do find that mechanic, he's gonna charge you upwards of $100 an hour.
With that said, you mentioned a repair budget of $1700. That timing belt is $500 leaving you with $1200. Lets say it takes a mechanic 2 hrs to remove & replace the top shelter and another 2 hrs to trouble shoot the problem that would leave you $800 and the problem hasn't been fixed yet. The short story is at $100 an hour plus parts, $1700 isn't going to go very far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I did it guys. I found a great Goldwing for a great price. I got a 1995 GW for only $2600 delivered. Runs amazing, starts on first press no problems, no leaks, no smells. The guy even brought it down from Tennessee to Alabama for me for only $100 (listed as $2500). Getting the license August 12th, then will insure it and get the tag. Feeling great about it.

EDIT: Only has 40k miles on it as well. Does this kind of GW have the timing belt and if so, when should that get replaced?

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Congratulations!
Not a stock color, but I like it. It does have timing belts. They can be bought at NAPA or on Amazon for good prices.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
in the manual it said every 10 years or 100k miles, which ever happens first

so the real question is, when were the changed last???????
the wing engine is and interference engine, in other words, belts go, pistons and valves make contact, not pretty

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
in the manual it said every 10 years or 100k miles, which ever happens first

so the real question is, when were the changed last???????
the wing engine is and interference engine, in other words, belts go, pistons and valves make contact, not pretty
I'll need to ask the guy who I bought it from. He's been good at talking to me even after the sale.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'll need to ask the guy who I bought it from. He's been good at talking to me even after the sale.
if he doesn't know,,,,,, cheap insurance against engine failure

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Agree with the others, ask if he doesn't know then do them.

Someone did a really nice job on that Wing with the special color. Great looking Wing and congrats.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you wing and wishing you miles of smiles.😁

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I did have a couple of questions on accessories. Where do I get a cup holder and a good phone holder for this bike?

Edit: also a good motorcycle cover. I don't have a garage.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Typical items can be purchased at most online places.

This is one of our sponsors.....they will have anything you desire and more....much more. So browse carefully.;)

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you Goldwing. That wing here Down Under would be worth $8,000.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts