Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm finally getting back into riding and really want a Goldwing because I'm 6'5" and 300 pounds. Need a big bike for a big boy. I'm poor, though so can't blow 20k on an amazing model. Budget is max 3500-4000. But the less I can buy it for the better. Anyways, on Facebook marketplace I found a GW 1998 for only 2300 about 3 hours from my house.

Owner says I can test drive before buying it and that these are the known problems.

"Reverse works sometimes I can’t get the Air compressor to kick him I think it’s a relay and will need tires at least a front one"

Is this a no go or would those be relatively easy/cheap fixes either from a mechanic or it would be my first time fixing a motorcycle myself.

Thanks for all the help. Title is clean and the photos make it look in good condition.

He's since dropped the price to 2300.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I'm not intimate with the 1500's, but there are a lot of people here who are. They will be along soon. I'll send you a welcome from Mississippi and say good luck on your search.

Reactions: Blade2005

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
The 1500's are solid bikes, the Reverse sometimes working may just be an adjustment on the reverse cables. The air compressor in fact could be a relay only. Tires, batteries, and such items are consumables that will need to be changed on any bike. There are some things worth mentioning that could in fact need to be addressed. The timing belts are a big one. If the owner does not know when they were changed, then you should change them ASAP. Not expensive (if you do it yourself). Also most folks overlook the numerous filters that should be changed. My feeling is if you have mechanical skills, and are not squeamish about getting into it, this may be a good buy. If you do decide to purchase the Wing, then I strongly suggest you buy a repair manual also. They are invaluable and Clymer's, Haynes, or Honda Shop Manual will assist in your efforts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 1500's are solid bikes, the Reverse sometimes working may just be an adjustment on the reverse cables. The air compressor in fact could be a relay only. Tires, batteries, and such items are consumables that will need to be changed on any bike. There are some things worth mentioning that could in fact need to be addressed. The timing belts are a big one. If the owner does not know when they were changed, then you should change them ASAP. Not expensive (if you do it yourself). Also most folks overlook the numerous filters that should be changed. My feeling is if you have mechanical skills, and are not squeamish about getting into it, this may be a good buy. If you do decide to purchase the Wing, then I strongly suggest you buy a repair manual also. They are invaluable and Clymer's, Haynes, or Honda Shop Manual will assist in your efforts.
Well, I've never repaired a motorcycle before, I'm better technology-wise than mechanical-wise. Building PCs vs repairing engines, that sort of thing, I'm not against getting into it, but there's another problem, I don't have a garage, anything I do would be out on the lawn in front of my house, so unless I can find a workshop to work out of or a cheap mechanic, then I'd probably not have the space to or tools to do it. If I got the motorcycle for 2300, I'd have about 1700 for repairs from my current savings.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
With what you have laid out, this bike may not be your best approach. Make no mistake, you would be buying an awesome platform that is capable of 200-300K mileage in the right hands. Mine has 109,000 on it. But this is also a 23 year old motorcycle so there will be repairs to do.

The downside to having to get someone to perform the mechanical work for you is that many Honda dealers won't work on a bike that old. Doesn't make a lot of sense but that is a common thing.

So summarizing......If you really want to pursue this bike, I would go to a dealer 1st and find out if they would work on it, if you buy it. If not, then I would probably table this bike and look for a newer 1800 Wing (most likely the mileage would be higher), even if it meant waiting a bit. The 1800's are every bit as strong as the 1500's were in their day, and shops will work on them. The 1500's are great bikes (as I said) but because of their age, lack of available mechanics, and technology they really are becoming a mechanic's bike, just because of necessity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With what you have laid out, this bike may not be your best approach. Make no mistake, you would be buying an awesome platform that is capable of 200-300K mileage in the right hands. Mine has 109,000 on it. But this is also a 23 year old motorcycle so there will be repairs to do.

The downside to having to get someone to perform the mechanical work for you is that many Honda dealers won't work on a bike that old. Doesn't make a lot of sense but that is a common thing.

So summarizing......If you really want to pursue this bike, I would go to a dealer 1st and find out if they would work on it, if you buy it. If not, then I would probably table this bike and look for a newer 1800 Wing (most likely the mileage would be higher), even if it meant waiting a bit. The 1800's are every bit as strong as the 1500's were in their day, and shops will work on them. The 1500's are great bikes (as I said) but because of their age, lack of available mechanics, and technology they really are becoming a mechanic's bike, just because of necessity.
Thanks a lot. There's a couple used dealerships around here that I think would service the bike for me. I'll check them out today and see what they say. Otherwise I'll go with something else.

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
If the owner is willing you could take the bike to one of the dealerships in your area and have them check the bike out. May cost a few$$ but it will give you a good idea of what you have.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
As the others have posted the1500 is a great bike, I put 173,000 miles on our 93 with nothing but normal maintainance. But if you are not confident in doing your own maintenance I would do as Bill said and find a local shop that will work on it and get an estimate on what it would cost for them to do what you want done. Good luck.👍

·
Registered
2005 GL1800 RoadSmith Trike
2 Posts
I'm finally getting back into riding and really want a Goldwing because I'm 6'5" and 300 pounds. Need a big bike for a big boy. I'm poor, though so can't blow 20k on an amazing model. Budget is max 3500-4000. But the less I can buy it for the better. Anyways, on Facebook marketplace I found a GW 1998 for only 2300 about 3 hours from my house.

Owner says I can test drive before buying it and that these are the known problems.

"Reverse works sometimes I can’t get the Air compressor to kick him I think it’s a relay and will need tires at least a front one"

Is this a no go or would those be relatively easy/cheap fixes either from a mechanic or it would be my first time fixing a motorcycle myself.

Thanks for all the help. Title is clean and the photos make it look in good condition. View attachment 277165

He's since dropped the price to 2300.
Just to give you an idea, last year for a shop to do the timing belts here in central Alabama (if you could find one to do it) it was $400 ~ $500 to have them replace the belts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to give you an idea, last year for a shop to do the timing belts here in central Alabama (if you could find one to do it) it was $400 ~ $500 to have them replace the belts.
I might go a different route, then. Are Honda shadows easier to maintain? I've seen some Honda shadows around the 2-3k mark as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, shadow's are much easier to maintain. They are smaller bikes, and don't have as much fairing plastics, technologies and what-nots.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Yes, shadow's are much easier to maintain. They are smaller bikes, and don't have as much fairing plastics, technologies and what-nots.
+1 on this comment but a few things for you to consider.

A) Definitely not the same classification as a Wing. You won't be riding a Shadow (regularly) anywhere near the distances you would ride a Wing

B) Don't take this one wrong, but based on your description of your size of stature, I'm not certain you would be comfortable on a Shadow.

An avenue that you may want to explore is possibly looking at Valkyries, basic same poweplant/size of a Wing but in a bagger version. Sometimes you can find nice Valkyries at a reasonable price

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
don't give up on the wing, see if there are any independent shops in your area that work on wings. there are a lot of dealers that won't work on any bike over 10yrs old. at six foot three even a shadow 1100 is going to be awful small

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all, there's another 98 selling in my city for around 2700. Says he's selling it because he's moving but was garage kept and doesn't have the problems the other one did. However, the seller is very bad at communicating with me so that doesn't exude confidence either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

I went to check out the 1500CC 97 Goldwing. It wasn't in the most amazing condition, however it did start up right away with zero problems or choke. He told me it needed an oil change and most likely a timing belt change. And a new fuse for the headlights. He had this one wire separated and twisted together to turn on the headlights. Not the safest of things to do. Anyways, he only wants 2500 (can maybe talk him lower) for it so I'll have 1500 for repairs and I might be able to talk him down even lower. Maybe to 2k. Anyways, what would you pay for a 97 Goldwing in this condition? I did smell gas, but didn't see any leaks at all. Clean title that he showed me.

Edit: I'm not the kind of person that needs it to look in pristine condition. I just need something to run well and everything works. The air pressure suspension worked, brakes worked, cruise control, and throttle was fine and didn't stick. Etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Reading your experience, I think you should pass on the black one. The red is still a possibility but I suggest you keep looking.

Did you find a mechanic willing to work on a 20+ year old bike?

Where are you from?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reading your experience, I think you should pass on the black one. The red is still a possibility but I suggest you keep looking.

Did you find a mechanic willing to work on a 20+ year old bike?
Not yet, but I did remember that my mom's BF has a garage at a trailer he owns only about 30 miles from me. If anything goes badly I could take it there and learn to fix this stuff myself. Someone talked about the timing belt in here from central Alabama and that's where I live. I need to talk with them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Most of the maintenance is doable with average skills and tools. But you still don't want a money pit and get discouraged. At a minimum I would suggest finding someone that will go with you to check out the candidate bike.

Here is a tool to help with your search:

Goldwing Classified Ads • goldwingdocs.com

Here are a couple alternatives (both of which I would want to pay less than asking price):

1996 Goldwing Aspencade - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
2005 Honda Goldwing - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

and this one, while perhaps outside your budget, I am including for a comparison:

2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800 only 72k miles - motorcycles/scooters -... (craigslist.org)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most of the maintenance is doable with average skills and tools. But you still don't want a money pit and get discouraged. At a minimum I would suggest finding someone that will go with you to check out the candidate bike.

Here is a tool to help with your search:

Goldwing Classified Ads • goldwingdocs.com

Here are a couple alternatives (both of which I would want to pay less than asking price):

1996 Goldwing Aspencade - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
2005 Honda Goldwing - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

and this one, while perhaps outside your budget, I am including for a comparison:

2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800 only 72k miles - motorcycles/scooters -... (craigslist.org)
Thanks, I'm trying to find someone to help me with looking at it.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I would stay as far away from that black one as I could. I won't go into detail, but I just wouldn't buy it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts