Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a 2008 Gold Wing with floor boards and it had the kuryakyn heel toe shifter.
I've had other Gold Wings, with floor boards and Roadsmith trike kits (like this one has) and been able to use a toe shifter. I prefer toe shifter. My question is, can the hell portion be removed by unbolting it or do I have to use the more drastic measures I've read about....sawing it off?
I will also have to replace the floor pegs to a smaller set in order for me to get my boot under the toe shifter, The pegs I have now with the heel/toe are almost as big as my foot. No wonder they had to install a heel/toe.
Any input is always appreciated!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had H/T shifter and floorboards on my previous bike (1100 Shadow ACE) and, once I got accustomed to it, it was great! (Although a mis-shift screeched my back tire once while in the learning curve when shifting down instead of up while accelerating on the on ramp. It was a bit scarry o_O)

I just purchased a used Wing that also has the H/T shifter. I still like it. But I also have the large floorboards and the toe side is farther down than I would want it. But since it's a single lever, I don't think I can change it without also moving the back part down. I've considering moving back to a smaller floorboard or peg to make accessing the shift and brake easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had H/T shifter and floorboards on my previous bike (1100 Shadow ACE) and, once I got accustomed to it, it was great! (Although a mis-shift screeched my back tire once while in the learning curve when shifting down instead of up while accelerating on the on ramp. It was a bit scarry o_O)

I just purchased a used Wing that also has the H/T shifter. I still like it. But I also have the large floorboards and the toe side is farther down than I would want it. But since it's a single lever, I don't think I can change it without also moving the back part down. I've considering moving back to a smaller floorboard or peg to make accessing the shift and brake easier.
I guess we're not into "change" and having to "learn" something new >> again!
I looked up this outfit we have on ours and it's a nice get-up, Kuryakyn, sold on Dennis Kirk for $450. Should be tickled but would still like to go back to stock. Our prob is that we're in a rural area of KY and a Honda dealership is so far away and I don't want to go w/o a bike for very long. The hub thinks he can make this Kuryakyn work by removing (not sawing) a bolt and taking off the heel portion. He's a machinist....pretty handy. Just wondered if anyone lse had converted or if the only choice was to purchase shifter and foot rests (stock) from new.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The way mine is, I'm not certain that cutting off the back would not work. Looking at this is weird since apparently the actual connection to the transmission is this little lever that connects to the front of the H/T in order to actuate the shifter and raise it above the floorboards. Maybe some more experienced Wing-ers can explain this?

But I wonder if you may find the original shifter that someone else who converted is willing to give up?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
The reason I went to floorboards and the HT shifter was that when in a natural riding position, the toe of my boot would not let the shifter come down all the way following an up-shift. It took a little while to get used to them and even longer to learn to raise the boards when stopping on a sketchy surface so your feet touch the ground closer to the bike. It is key to avoid dropping the bike in those situations. I have grown to really like the boards and HT shifter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
... I have grown to really like the boards and HT shifter.
[/QUOTE]

I don't want to go back to just having the toe shifter either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am really glad this topic came up as I have been missing shifts from time to time on my '08, but only when shifting up, and not what is usually defined as a missed shift. NREMTP mentioned the concerns with the natural riding position and I have been finding that if I am wearing my work boots (heavy and clumsy as hell steel toed clodhoppers that could support a skyscraper) that I have to either remove my toe from under the shifter after each upshift, or I have to purposely tip my toe downward to make sure that the shifter is able to return to it's home position prior to attempting the next upshift. If it does not return to that home position, absolutely nothing happens the next time I try to shift until I do indeed get the shifter to drop back down to it's home position, then try the shift again. It probably doesn't look as bad as a missed shift from not lifting hard enough with the shifter, but I guy does end up looking like something of a putz. 🤪

So, I have been considering a heel/toe shifter, but am not quite sure if I want to go with a full floorboard, a miniboard, or maybe just a wide peg. All three are available and I can see the advantages of each. A friend has an '07 with full boards and HT shifter that I plan to take for a short ride before I decide what to buy.

Thanks again for the perfect timing on this post!

·
Registered
63 Posts
... So, I have been considering a heel/toe shifter, but am not quite sure if I want to go with a full floorboard, a miniboard, or maybe just a wide peg. All three are available and I can see the advantages of each. A friend has an '07 with full boards and HT shifter that I plan to take for a short ride before I decide what to buy.
I have a full floorboard with H/T shifter, because that's what was on this used wing when I purchased it a few months ago. But I'm considering switching to a miniboard. I'm 6'4" and being able to rock my foot a bit easier sounds possible with the slightly smaller boards. This is also a concern on the brake side as I've found inadequate room between the full floorboard and the engine. Due to my height, pulling my foot back up off the brake takes too much effort and I tend to move my foot to the side instead of lifting up. This also slows down my reaction time if I need to brake quickly. With miniboards, I should be able to adjust the brake lever a notch lower if I could rock my foot forward easier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am only 5' 10" and feel 'big' on the wing, and I know exactly what you are talking about. But, I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for someone of your size.

At this point I am thinking about the Kuryaken HT shifter and and will seek out a set of mini boards a little later on in the season.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We just purchased a 2008 Gold Wing with floor boards and it had the kuryakyn heel toe shifter.
I've had other Gold Wings, with floor boards and Roadsmith trike kits (like this one has) and been able to use a toe shifter. I prefer toe shifter. My question is, can the hell portion be removed by unbolting it or do I have to use the more drastic measures I've read about....sawing it off?
I will also have to replace the floor pegs to a smaller set in order for me to get my boot under the toe shifter, The pegs I have now with the heel/toe are almost as big as my foot. No wonder they had to install a heel/toe.
Any input is always appreciated!
I just picked up an '08 GL1800 and Joined today. Would be interested to have the HT Shifter. I have become accustomed to my Triumph HT Shifter. Let me know. Send some pictures and what we can do to exchange Shifter and Pegs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am really glad this topic came up as I have been missing shifts from time to time on my '08, but only when shifting up, and not what is usually defined as a missed shift. NREMTP mentioned the concerns with the natural riding position and I have been finding that if I am wearing my work boots (heavy and clumsy as hell steel toed clodhoppers that could support a skyscraper) that I have to either remove my toe from under the shifter after each upshift, or I have to purposely tip my toe downward to make sure that the shifter is able to return to it's home position prior to attempting the next upshift. If it does not return to that home position, absolutely nothing happens the next time I try to shift until I do indeed get the shifter to drop back down to it's home position, then try the shift again. It probably doesn't look as bad as a missed shift from not lifting hard enough with the shifter, but I guy does end up looking like something of a putz. 🤪

So, I have been considering a heel/toe shifter, but am not quite sure if I want to go with a full floorboard, a miniboard, or maybe just a wide peg. All three are available and I can see the advantages of each. A friend has an '07 with full boards and HT shifter that I plan to take for a short ride before I decide what to buy.

Thanks again for the perfect timing on this post!
Hello,
I have a set in my garage from my 2008 wing. They are the Kuryakyn and in great shape. I have not considered putting them on my 2018. So if I can lay hands on them I would sell really cheap. They;re just hanging out and not aging near as quick as I am.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,
I have a set in my garage from my 2008 wing. They are the Kuryakyn and in great shape. I have not considered putting them on my 2018. So if I can lay hands on them I would sell really cheap. They;re just hanging out and not aging near as quick as I am.
I would be interested. Please take a photo and send a price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello,
Thanks for the offer, but I bought a set of the Kuryakyn full boards and HT shifter back in June and could not be happier. They were the cat's meow for the long trips I did out west this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts