Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Goldwing owner, bought my new 2012 GL1800 a month ago. In fact, I have only been riding motorcycles since April. I am (57) years old. Originally, I found I had to angle my right foot painfully down to push the brake, so I had the dealer raise it. Then I found myself riding the brake pedal without knowing it, causing the brake lights to be on all the time. So, I had the dealer set it back down a bit. I still am told that many times my brake lights are on. Also, I find myself missing the shifter with my left foot a lot of times, just hitting air when I am trying to shift gears upward. I am considering floor board kits for both sides, that would include heel toe shifter on the left, plus make the brake pedal on the right a forward and up movement similar to a car. The dealer tells me "only old men with old Harley's do that", but I wanted other opinions. Please advise thoughts you may have. Thank You!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I am 49 And I love mine. I did read somewere that it could void your warranty,If you get transmission problems,Just make sure that it is adjusted right and you will not have any problems,I have been using mine now for three years on my new Wing. And two years on my old Wing that I traded off A total of 5 yrs with no trouble.
congratulations on the new Wing and Welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. I've never used a heel/toe shifter so I can't be of much help on the subject. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Another 2012 Wing. The board is getting younger every week. As a new member I personally welcome you to the club. As a potential floorboard rider I can't respond to that question...... but, my personal thoughts on the heel/toe shifter: Doesn't work for me, too confining and cluttered with mechanisms. I ride a Harley from time to time so I know it wouldn't work for me on the Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
You have 2 different things going on.

1st-shifting. I don't know how 6 months of riding translates to seat time. For some, that is 20k and 500 miles for others. If you are hitting air when trying to shift up, you need to reposition your foot and practice keeping your foot under the shifter. It is in a natural place for most people. It sounds like your feet are sticking out, and that could be dangerous going around corners.
As for a heel toe shifter, some like it- some don't. I think they are more cumbersome. Also, the pegs on the heel/toe shifter are still in the same place as the what you have now. With only 6 months experience, I think this would make it worse. Learn to keep your feet pointed forward so you aren't 'hunting' for the shifter. Also, I don't ride with my foot hovering over the foot brake. Maybe that needs to be addressed as well. I ride one handed, left and right, and move around to keep lose. I also have highway boards to change my whole body postion. That might help some. But when I see something that gets my attention, I immediately get into a prepared stance (upright with both hands on the bars and both feet on the pegs. My hand and foot are both ready to engage the brakes.

2nd, the pain in braking. I don't know how painful this is but I would put the pedal back where it belongs keep your foot more on the peg. My hand is quicker than my foot. I can start to brake in an emergency with my hand brake with the foot brake a split second later.

A little ankle pain isn't nearly as painful as a car running you over because you taught them to ignore the brake lights.

I think you need to find another solution. I wonder if anyone has ever switched the hand brake and foot brake so the handbrake becomes the primary whereby deploying both front and rear brakes?
Whatever the solution, I would follow what has been proven to work. I wouldn't want to be the crash dummy to test anything new or that slows down your response time.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
While it is debateable, depending on dealer involved and/or if the factory rep shows up to review the bike:
Adding a non-manufacturer approved accessory or making any non-factory approved modification to your bike + not having approved accessories and/or any approved modification made by a certified tech at an authorized dealership MAY cause a warranty claim to be denied.
Not saying it will-not saying it won't. Spoke to several dealers while deciding to trike or not. Answers varied from no affect on your extended warranty to that will void your extended warranty.
Just thought you should know.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Howdy and welcome. I personally have boards and the h/t shifter and the brake lever mod. Works slick as everything for me (I've ridden Wings since 1984 both with and w/o the boards and shifter), but there are others that don't like them. For your case being a new rider, I'd get used to the stock set-up a bit better and become as proficient as you can the way it is; wings take some finesse in the shifting dept especially from 1st to 2nd. After that, try and find a winger that has the shifter and boards and se if you can test ride the bike. That should give you a better indication of whether you like it or not.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland , I'm 45 years young and I have heal/ toe shifter of thy makes me old so be it

·
Registered
1 Posts
heel toe shifter

I have a 2012 wing and put Kuriakan floorboards with the heel toe shifter and brake and love them. I had a 2004 wing and never had them on it but allways wanted them. I am 58 years old. It just takes a little to get used to them. It's a much more comfortable foot rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts