Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of heated vest do you use. This is the first year that we have had heated vest available. There are 2 type: 1. Hard wired that you plug into. 2. Rechargeable battery vests that last for 6 hours.
1. Hard wired doesn't have a heat controller but means it will not go flat. You will lose the heat when you get off the bike and it maybe nice to have the heat while having a coffee stop.
2. Battery will last 6 hours but you can control the heat. You can leave it running when off the bike. You can't forget to disconect it when getting off the bike.
Your ideas on this will be appreciated. It does get cold here as well. Not as cold as those north of the border. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i have a synergy electric jacket liner eric. it is hard wired and has a controller. what brands are avalable to you

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Hard Wired for the Fossil couple Eric. We use Dual Heat Controllers so we can set Gloves/Vest at different temps, or in the case of Ms.Fossil gloves & jacket/pants & socks at different temps. Love our stuff but I understand some people may have issues being wired.

Oh by the way when geared up if you get off for a bit the heat doesn't just instantly disappear, it's like any other form of insulated heat, takes a while to disapate.

It works for us.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was in Perth last trip I brouhgt a bike mag called Australian Road Rider and they had a ad With a heated vest. That is the first time I have seen anything heated here. Then today when I was waiting for Vanessa to get out of Uni. I was in the bike shops and that can be dangerous. Anyway while looking around I came across some heated vest. I can't remember the brand of those vest. You hard wire it in and the vest has a push conecters. I have the mag here to check the brand, which is called Jett heated vest. The battery [Jett] vest cost $199 and the hard wired vest without a controler cost $160. Eric

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have a BMW heated vest I got from a buddy, it has an ON & OFF switch, no high or low but it works fine, if it gets to hot I turn it off, but a switch with HIGH & LOW would be better.
check out WWW.WINGSTUFF.COM

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
synergy pants, vests, and jacket liners have a hi, med, and low setting on the controller which is sold with the product

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go to Gerbings.com and check out their gear. I use their hard wired gear with controllers to adjust the heat settings. I ride all year long, even when it gets down to 7F I am warm. People do look at me like I have 3 heads, but I am warm. I really like their gear. Had a problem with a jacket that was 2 years old and they just replaced it with no questions asked.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Here in Vegas, I've been wearing my solar powered vest this week. Heated up to 107 today with zero draw on the electrical system. :D

Fortunately, our winters are mild enough I don't really need much more than a heavy jacket and chaps on even the coldest days.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here in Vegas, I've been wearing my solar powered vest this week. Heated up to 107 today with zero draw on the electrical system. :D

Fortunately, our winters are mild enough I don't really need much more than a heavy jacket and chaps on even the coldest days.
Oh sure; Now you're just rubbing it in!;) 107? Geez..that's the amount of SNOW I need to shovel..just to get out of the driveway:eek::D:D

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anybody have an air-conditioned vest?
Yes I can help there. Take the gloves and helmet off and walk staight into the sea and drop in. Now walk back the bike and ride. The first 20 miles you will be frozen. The boots and jacket stay cold for a long time. You will get some strange looks from the beach goes, who don't know if they need to call the police or not. If there is no lake or sea to walk into, find the nearest hose and run the water until it runs cool. If at a service station pay for your gas first. Run the water over your head and in your riding gear and the outside the riding gear. Two things here don't scream like a girl with the temp. change, because you will already be noticed without the scream. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That air-con is a great find. I can tell you now that they do not have that here Down Under. We have only just got heated vest. Now that my riding will be for fun I will not be doing big rides in over 100f heat. Our cold only gets down to about 36f and with the good riding equipement it should be more comfortable than trying to ride in summer. If it is stinking hot I will do what the northeners do. Park it for awhile. Central Australia in the middle of summer is a no go zone for me on a bike. I do not like the heat. Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a Gerbing heated jacket and hard wire it to the battery. I control the heat with a dual controller that will also control gloves if need be. I use it when riding my BMW GS in the cold months. I am nice and toasty to 29 degrees F - Not that its the limit of the vest in keeping warm, it's just that I havn't ridden in temperatures any colder than that. I have the Gerbings heated gloves, but the BMW has heated grips and I find that I don't need the gloves "plugged in." The gloves are a very quality piece of gear without being plugged in! I would add that the jacket works best if it is a little tight and you definately don't want it loose or it won't be as effective. I bought mine and it is a little loose (not listening to sage advice that I was given) and because of that the efficiency is down, but very adequate. I tried the simple on/off switch, but found I was constantly turning it on and off - either too hot or too cold. With good riding pants and boots I have been comfortable with just the heated jacket and grips. Gerbings accessories are readily available and a very easy to deal with company.

I just bought my Goldwing last week and havn't tried out the heated clothing yet. It's been over 100 F every day since I bought the thing. I always wear "full gear" when I ride - I guess it's my sport bike roots and GS roots (still ride both). The Gerbings was the single best accessory that I purchased for my riding comfort. Never cold. I watch my friends ride without it and just shake my head in disbelief as they freeze or just simply park the bike when the temperature gets in the 50's and below.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts