Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in sask. can. and looking to buy a2006 or newer 1800. I would like to hear your impression of heated seats. Question is, do they do a good job or soso. My wife does not like to be cold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heated seat

I just returned from an all day ride on a cool-to-cold fall day with temps approaching lower 30s. Remembering that keeping your core (torso) is critical to staying warm, I had on a thermal long sleeve t-shirt, my Powerlet heated liner and gloves (which I only turned on the last 30 minutes of the ride when I climbed from 3000' up to 4500', a down shirt, and a leather jacket, down underpants and leather pants. However, I had my heated seat on most of the day. I believe the heated seated and layering contributed significantly to me not having to turn on my heated gear until temps got close to freezing. Remember your passenger will be seated higher than the you and exposed to more cold air. A happy wife is a happy husband; GET THE HEATED SEAT!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't have heated seats on my '02...lived in Arizona (didn't need em there). Had them on my '07 in West Virginia, they made life nice. Now that I'm in South Dakota will definitely get them (heated seats and grips) on my next ride. In my opinion, get em!! Especially if you do any riding when the temps dip. Good luck in your search. I'm looking too. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I have heated seats on my 09 and I like them for the cold/cool mornings here in northeast Pennsylvania. I've been out in temps into the 30's and the heated seat and grips made the trip easier..

·
Registered
741 Posts
Definitely! And they did a good job of melting the hail from my seats too. IMG_7578.jpg

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I only get chilled where the wind gets to my body. I have heated gloves, coat, pants and boot inserts. When it is extremely cold, I wear it all, but most of the time, I just use the coat liner and the gloves.

I would think that the heated seat would feel nice, but I don't think it would keep your core body warm like the other components do.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I have them on my 07 and its my opinion that they are worth their weight in gold. :D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Any external heat input is better than none. The heated grips in combination with the mirror wind deflector wings is as good as it gets. I have the heated comfort model because Mz. Vickie wanted heated, otherwise I would not have considered it a must option. Well she was right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I did not have the heated grips or seat on my 03 wing but do have it on my 2010 and I love them , a couple cold morning starts makes it all worth while.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have grips and seat on my 08 and yes even here in Arizona when December and January roll around it is nice. The warmth from it makes the ride nice. I don't own heated clothing. The passenger seat back is heated too so the Missus will love it. Mine does.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have heated seat and grips on my 10 and yes they are worth it. With my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves I'm warm in cold weather. When you get on the bike in cold weather and turn the seat on and you feel it warming up you know you made the right decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes....worth every penny... both seats and grips ....also get heated vest for both of you....momma will be very cozy and happy.....!

I could be wrong, but i think all canadian late model bikes are equipped with the hot seats and grips.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I live in Arizona so I see electric heating stuff as a sure fire way to drain a battery and leave one stranded (in the cold). Now, if I were to move to Saskatchewan I would think differently. More along the line of a pocket sized reactor etc, etc. For sure, were i to consider a heated seat, grips etc I would look for a bike with those options factory installed.

And, mama wants it, mama gets it. If she is happy the ride goes a lot better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How about after market seats and grips do they keep the same look of the bike or are they that much different? I was thinking of adding them to my 2005 GW.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'm a believer after having mine for 3 seasons now. After a couple long cold days and evenings with the seat turned up to 4 (-5*c outside temp) it certainly saved my butt and more. You still need the extra layered clothing for the rest of your body, but that warmth flooding upwards from your backside sure feels good! Now if they'd just figure a way to heat the brake and clutch levers all would be ducky!;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in sask. can. and looking to buy a2006 or newer 1800. I would like to hear your impression of heated seats. Question is, do they do a good job or soso. My wife does not like to be cold.
Good question. My Wife is a Kiwi Chic, sorry, "Kiwi Princess", and she is never happy when cold. We both have Gerbing's Jacket liners and electric gloves. My wife has a Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket, and with the Jacket Liner and Gloves plugged into the kilowatt grade alternator on my 2010 GW, she was actually turning off her heated seat after a twenty minutes on a cool winter day's ride.

So, like a car, the heated seats are nice to get your started. But the Gerbing's Jacket Liners and Gloves "Are the Bomb" for keeping the Princesses warm and toasty.

The Wing came with electric grips but never use them. I would if I forgot my Electric Gloves or just needed to get home with lighter gloves.

However, seeing that you live in Saskatchewan, perhaps Gerbings and BUG REPELLENT, might a greater priority, then heated seats :)

Rick.

PS my fathers family is from Pladdockwood and I spend my summers in the family cabins on Christopher Lake.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Don't think there's any bug repellant that works on grasshoppers:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't think there's any bug repellant that works on grasshoppers:(
It's the dam Saskatchewan June Bugs that will take out a headlight or knock you off your bike.

Though to be fair to SK, one of the nicest rides I ever took on my HD was with my brother on his HD along the old Banff Coach road, from Banff to Calgary one August evening. However, we arrived in Cochrane after dark.

Both HDs became the same shade of yellow and green bug goo, and the center of a mass of wasps at every red light.

Gotta love living on the island and next to salt water. We have spiders and wasps can be a problem when BBQing Salmon, but no mosquitoes and very few bugs on the windscreen.

Rick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like them

Heated seats are worth the money for sure, my wife says the rear seat doesn't get to warm, the front is great and the heated grips are really nice you will be glad you have them.:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts