Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to gold wings! Just bought a 1976 for $500. Was wondering if stock stator and alternator wld put out enough to run a heated jacket and gloves? I ride all year was just wondering if I would fry the stator if I rode with heated gear.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey River Rat - You might do some internet research on stator failures and the installation of a "Poor Boy Alternator" as an update to your GW.

There are actually many newer motorcycles that still use the basic Stator/Volt Reg set up because they are simple and relatively inexpensive compared to a manufacturer using a true automotive alternator. Most 4 cylinder GW owners have found that as long as you keep your oil changed on schedule (old oil can become acidy and erode the stator wiring insulation) and you do not add any additional electrical loads to the bike over the factory lights, ignition, etc... you'll be fine.

I've owned several 84 - 87 GW's and have had to replace the stator on all but one. Most were purchased after they had been parked because of a stator failure. After installing a new stator winding and I removed all the high wattage Fog and/or Running Lights added by the previous owners, I had no more electrical issues.

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would if it were mine run the heated clothes with a battery pack, you ride a wing so space should not be a problem. But as the OP said the charging system was not designed for the e tra load you will put on it.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
One must assume, that you already own this heated gear. If that is the case then follow the advice above. However if you don't own the gear yet, you may want to explore the battery operated gear, and keep the load off the bike altogether.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey River Rat - A major improvement to the 4 cylinder stator powered GW's is to install a "Poor Boys Alternator" . They do come as an out-of-the-box kit but (to many) are considered expensive. There are a couple guys with multi step Utube videos who illustrate how to build your own parts needed to install a small automotive alternator. From what I've heard and the reviews I've read if you plan to keep your bike a while running heated all weather gear - this is worth the installation.

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
your stator only puts out about 300w and most of that is use to power the electrics of the bike. maybe if you changed all lights to LED you might have enough power for some heated gear

Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 6 of 6 Posts