Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made up my mind that I am going to get the Mrs and myself heated gear. Jacket liner, pant liner and gloves. What brand and why?
Leaning toward Gerbings and Firstgear, HELP

Who is using heated gear and what do you think of it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm using Gerbings. The old style. The new ones have microwire which are suppose to be better. I've had mine for around ten years and have had no problems. Heats fairly quick. If I was looking to buy I would get Gerbings again with the microwire.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I think Gerbing is the most popular gear. My wife has a Symtec vest and she really likes it. Compact and light weight, was very inexpensive too.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
I have made up my mind that I am going to get the Mrs and myself heated gear. Jacket liner, pant liner and gloves. What brand and why?
Leaning toward Gerbings and Firstgear, HELP

Who is using heated gear and what do you think of it?
We have a mix of Gerbing/Firstgear. Work great even as combo. I do suggest to get dual controllers so that you can set items at different temps.

His: Vest & Gloves - All I have needed set at different temps.
Hers: Jacket Liner/Gloves - Set at 1 temp
Pants Liner/Socks - Set at different temp

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my Gerbings Jacket/thermostat for about ten years or so and it's been great. Well made and durable. I got mine from Shango Rider and have to brag to him too! He could've sold me one off the rack at an event but talked me into measuring for a better fit. He went the extra mile and I'm glad I listened and got it custom sized. I haven't kept up with some of the newer stuff because I'm so satisfied with my old Gerbing. Blake

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would suggest you look at the PowerLet Far Infrared gear. They use carbon panels rather than wires, so you get a really even heat, and no danger of breaking the wires. It is also an infrared heat, like sitting in the sun. Really nice and toasty.
I have the glove liners, and they are really nice. They also use really trick wireless controllers.

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/heated-clothing/HEATCLTHNG

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works
olddogmoto.com

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Good information. Need all the input on heated gear possible. Don't necessarily need it now but am planning a ride in 2014 to Alaska and will need it then. Thanks to all who give us your opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
I don't ride when it's really cold, so I don't own any heated gear, but the two brands you mentioned seem to be the most popular...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought the First Gear 90 watt jacket, gloves and dual controller and love them! I considered Gerbings, but our local Cycle Gear stocks First Gear products and because I'm a try it on before I buy kinda guy, I went with First Gear.

They work great and can actually get uncomfortably hot if adjusted too high.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Used the Firstgear gloves, jacket and pants liners when I went to Alaska in June. Whittier was absolutely frigid, as was the pass to Homer. I needed it then and felt sorry for those who relied on layering. Even though it was only 2 days riding out of 25, it was well worth it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would suggest you look at the PowerLet Far Infrared gear. They use carbon panels rather than wires, so you get a really even heat, and no danger of breaking the wires. It is also an infrared heat, like sitting in the sun. Really nice and toasty.
I have the glove liners, and they are really nice. They also use really trick wireless controllers.

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/heated-clothing/HEATCLTHNG

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works
olddogmoto.com
10 thumbs up for the Powerlet gear as well. I also have the Powerlet jacket liner and it is very nice and the fit is much better than the Gerbing liners. :D

..... and felt sorry for those who relied on layering. Even though it was only 2 days riding out of 25, it was well worth it.
Layering is so 1950's :p ...heated gear is the way to go no matter how much it costs! You can't put a price on comfort :cool:

·
Banned
466 Posts
I have used Gerbing for years but if I were replacing I'd consider Powerlet because of the super-thin jacket liner and glove liners. Gerbing works well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.