Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have a few Heated gear questions

Attached is the Wattage rating for Tourmaster and Gerbings.

Can the Wings electrical system handle a full complement of heated gear ? Jacket, gloves, pants, socks ? My VTX would complain a little if I ran all day with the gear on. Id definitely need to put it on a tender at night .. Just have an adapter cable that converts the pigtail from coax to sae.

Im looking at the owners manual ... cant really tell ... want to know what I should find before I get in there .. but ..

I need to put the Gerbings pig tail on the battery ... I want to ride to work tomorrow and it will be 38 in the morning.

My question is, if I take off the left panel, is/are the terminal screwa accessible or do I have to take off the battery plate shown on page 211 of the 2012 owners manual ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Don't know about the 2012 model and that is what I am assuming you have. But if its like the 07 model. When you pull off the chrome cover, the neg (-) side of the battery is exposed. The plus (+) side is covered by a plastic cover that removes with 1 screw. It's easy to get to. Looking at the chart you have I tallied up about 17 amps at full draw for it all. Power in Watts= Current x Voltage. (P= IxE) So, 17 X 12 = 204 watts. I don't have any of this external heat clothing so I can't give you an answer. I don't know the capacity of the battery and or alternator output for that model.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow, 17 amps! You definitely won't be able to use the stock location accessory junction on the fusebox because it is only rated for 15 amps as I recollect. Suppose you will be drawing power directly from the battery posts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I can actually get away with just the jacket, gloves and socks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres the break down from Gerbings site

3.6a 44w Pants
1.4a 16.9w Socks
6.4a 77w Jacket
2.2 27w gloves

I get 13.6 amps >165watts.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well then, whatcha waiting for? Pop off the left side cover, connect to the accessory junction (top left side of fusebox) and you will be snug as a bug

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
Well this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion but you may want to consider incorporating one of these. They work great, relatively inexpensive & take the load off when charging the battery & starting the bike, plus gives you fused terminals for his & her as well as future growth.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate-02222.htm

Put one on my 1500 worked great.

Another cool thing to do is to use the BMW style plug connectors on your gear & the accessory BMW socket with the hinged cover. Allows for a clean install as well as easy disconnect at stops.

If your interested I'm sure I have pictures somewhere of mine. Just PM me & I can either post or email them to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The accessory junction in the fuse box is fused at 5 amps. It should not be used for heated clothing. The heated clothing battery harness normally has it's own fuse and should be hooked directly to the battery terminals.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
The accessory junction in the fuse box is fused at 5 amps. It should not be used for heated clothing. The heated clothing battery harness normally has it's own fuse and should be hooked directly to the battery terminals.
This is how my friends have this set up. The plug comes out from under their seats. I'm still thinking about heated gear.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just ordered the Gerbings microwire jacket from Wingstuff (best price/free shipping). I'll use the wiring harness which comes with it using the battery terminals as other forum members noted. Also ordered the dual temp controller.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion but you may want to consider incorporating one of these. They work great, relatively inexpensive & take the load off when charging the battery & starting the bike, plus gives you fused terminals for his & her as well as future growth.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate-02222.htm

Put one on my 1500 worked great.

Another cool thing to do is to use the BMW style plug connectors on your gear & the accessory BMW socket with the hinged cover. Allows for a clean install as well as easy disconnect at stops.

If your interested I'm sure I have pictures somewhere of mine. Just PM me & I can either post or email them to you.

Plus one on the Distribution Box! Just about everything Lewis makes and sells from Elect Connection is good to go. I also like the BMW Sockets too, keep em clean and dry when not in use.

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
sumncguy,

Sent email yesterday. Did you receive?????

Hey Crownfire let me know if you're intersted in the info on that setup as well.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As long as the motor is running-powering heated clothing for rider aand a passenger is no problem.
Just don't do as a friends wife did one time attending a NewYearsDay benefit ride.
She got cold-went to the parked bike and plugged in to get warm.
They got ready to go on the ride-DEAD BATTERY!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I run my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves off the dual controller wired up to my battery on my 2010. Along with that the grips and heated seat keep me warm with no problems. I think the charging system puts out 1200 watts so there should be enough juice to power this with no problems.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I am hooked up to the battery.

I have the gloves, coat, boot liners and gloves. Used them all for two days now on the way down to Arizona. Today is going to be cold in New Mexico, so I will use it all today too. No problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts