Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a problem that someone here may be able to help me with I installed a new seat on my 06 Goldwing the old seat was heated the new seat is not what I have found out is that my heated grips will not work if the heated seat is not plugged in. Has anyone found a fix to this problem?:eek:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Found this on another site,
placed 4 - 160k resistors between the following pins on the seat plug connector:

Pin 3 to pin 7
Pin 3 to pin 10
Pin 6 to pin 4
Pin 6 to pin 8

This replaces the seat thermistors with fixed resistors and
the heat control unit allows the heated grips to work.

I believe any resistor between 40k and 200k will work. I picked 160k
because it is the thermistor value at 0 degrees C.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
Can't answer your at the moment; but I have been lead to believe that they are " separate " but " connected " in circuitry. Stand by for a response. This post will keep you on top of the heap for what it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Found this on another site,
placed 4 - 160k resistors between the following pins on the seat plug connector:

Pin 3 to pin 7
Pin 3 to pin 10
Pin 6 to pin 4
Pin 6 to pin 8

This replaces the seat thermistors with fixed resistors and
the heat control unit allows the heated grips to work.

I believe any resistor between 40k and 200k will work. I picked 160k
because it is the thermistor value at 0 degrees C.
Joe, sometimes you are just down right scary... Good work, you make us look good... Thanks..

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Joe, Two Wheel is bang on with that. We can allow you to unload the Wing, but the fountain of knowledge must remain flowing!:D

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
The following is the wire color for the various pins of the heated seat connector.

Pin 1 - White/Black Stripe
Pin 2 - Yellow/Red Stripe
Pin 3 - Green/Black Stripe
Pin 4 - Blue/Red Stripe
Pin 5 - Yellow/Red Stripe
Pin 6 - Green/Black Stripe
Pin 7 - Blue/Green Stripe
Pin 8 - Black/Yellow Stripe
Pin 9 - Red/White Stripe
Pin 10 - Blue/White Stripe

>
> placed 4 - 160k resistors between the following pins on the seat plug connector:
>
> Pin 3 to pin 7
> Pin 3 to pin 10
> Pin 6 to pin 4
> Pin 6 to pin 8
>
> This replaces the seat thermistors with fixed resistors and
> the heat control unit allows the heated grips to work.
>
> I believe any resistor between 40k and 200k will work. I picked 160k
> because it is the thermistor value at 0 degrees C.
Did you perform the resistor job ?

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
I have replaced the passenger backrest also, do I need to add the resistors to the plug for the passenger baskrest too?
If so do you know what pins need it?
Thanks for all the help...
What are you doing Sponge ? Are you messing with your seat ? Or even worse, the wife's comfort seat ? Talk to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No, Jan and I purchased a Hartco seat and we replace the passenger backrest also...
This seat is FANTASTIC!!!
I rode 500 miles yesterday and was ready for more...

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
I made up a wiring harness with the 100K resistors today got everything from Radio shack. The hard part was getting pins to fit the plug on the bike I had to get small round pins pound them flat and file them to fit but after getting everything soldered together and plugged in I started up the bike and turned on the heated grips then waited to see if everything was going to go up in smoke but nothing happened after a few minutes I checked the grips they were warming up nicely. So it looks like this is a good fix for anybody with this problem.
Good work Madmax. It looks like Sponge104 may need to profit from your efforts. Hey Sponge ! Do you have your old seat ? You should have the wiring harness already.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you mean cut the harness plug from the old seat and make a shorting plug with the resistors?
Has anyone found out if I need to do this to the passenger backrest or not?
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Joe,
Ever thought about publishing all your fixes, ideas etc? I know lots of us would buy a copy! Guys like you are worth a million on this forum.
Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.