Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up my new rebuilt 1991 goldwing. after about 20 minutes i noticed the heat guage was at about 80% closing in on the red line.
so i took it home at 1500-2000 rpm's and kept the guage between 80% and just below the red line. called the dealer, and he said this is normal. nothing to worry about, he'll show me that the guage has always been this way. any thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heat guage

thanks for the suggestion. does/can it happen the the heat guage may show approx. 80% and just never go into the red?

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Epicure,

Mine never gets that hot even sitting in traffic on a 90plus degree day.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Had a 98 GL1500 SE and the heat guage rarely went over 1/2. If it did the fan kicked on to bring it back. Doesn't seem right to me. Maybe have the coolant level checked and the thermostat or radiator cap.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
what two wheel wing said. nither of my wings make it to the half way point unless i'm stopped with the motor running for quite a while and a few minutes after moving the temp will drop below the halfway point. check your coolant to see if its low or maybe the dealer didn't "burb" yours

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Where did the gauge run before you took it to the dealer?? If it didn't run that high than you know it's not normal!!
I had 2 1500's they never got over half way, something is wrong, might have an air bubble in the cooling system or the dealer forgot to hook up the fans. Take it back, ig he insists that is normal have him show you another 1500 that does the same thing, he won't because he can't.

·
Registered
691 Posts
On my 95 1500 the fans come on just short of the H mark. Did it when I got the bike. Had a leak at the O ring where the pipes go into the thermostat houseing and the hoses were all hard and brittle. So, I replacwd all of them as well as the tubes, thermostat housingg and thermostat. Flushed the radiator. Still acts the same but no leak. I have concluded that the readings are due to inconsistancies iin either senser or meter. By the way I now have a switch that manually turns on the fans when on parade or sitting in traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts