Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have read about it and heard about it but it has never been this close. My father in law works for Steel Tech and they were informed that they have new health insurance guide lines as of July 1st. Higher deductibles,blah blah blah and they wont cover motorcycle riders or if you wreck they wont cover that :BigEyes: Now he doesnt ride and he doesnt care about that but WOW this is close.
I am a member of the AMA and I know they are working on this...but WOW this is close...:headexplody:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Ralph, this is called risk management, an employer can enact any policy they see fit as long as it doesn't discriminate do to age, race or religion. This is the same idea that some employers will not hire people who smoke.

On most insurance policies it does cover personal injury to both the driver and rider. One can also take out an supplementary income policy just in case your in an accident and lose work income.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I work for a small company, maybe 20 employees, but about half have bikes. I know since the Affordable Care Act passed my health insurance has increased about 30% every year.

We are in a group of several small businesses combined to get a better rate.

It seems that any bill that gets pushed through DC usually does the opposite of it's title.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
This is definitely not information I want to hear. I may need to check my plan to be sure there isn't some small print......

·
Banned
466 Posts
This is my health insurance story. I had mine on auto-pay (Anthem - used to be Blue Cross), and somehow they did not get paid and canceled my policy. About two months later they called me and pitched me a deal to re-instate my policy. Get this; in order to re-instate I have to pay back to the time it was canceled; meaning I pay for two months of coverage IN THE PAST. I tried to explain that I could not suffer a covered event in the past, the physics are pretty clear on this issue. Health insurance is a legal scam. Until we do what every other western democracy has done we will continue to get ripped off.

And yes my insurance went from $276 to $342

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
An elderly gentleman just mentioned to me yesterday as we talked about aging and health. He stated : " If it can be fixed with money, it's not broke. ".

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If any of you are Vets that were honorable discharged you can get medical coverage from the VA for no cost.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
If any of you are Vets that were honorable discharged you can get medical coverage from the VA for no cost.
Hmmmmm. Honorable Discharge in 1980. I have to get a copy of my DD-214. I sent it to the VA back in 1985 (?) for a VA loan on my first house. Haven't seen it since. Forgot about it until issues like this and cheap burial bennies crop up.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
I got to look into the Rider coverage on our Health Care ins. I know it just went up $85.00 a month. So much for affordable health care. I want on the plan Congress has.:Angry:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts

I use the VA for all my medical, however, the VA will only cover service connected at no cost. If you choose to use the VA and have no service connected issue then you'll have to go through a "means test" this will determine how much you will pay based on income, it still a pretty good deal.
I am a Purple Heart recipient so all my medical is covered by the VA. I'm also classified as 100% disabled this make my wife eligible for CHAMPVA.

If you are a veteran you do have the right to VA healthcare, it worth checking into.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not true. I am a 20 year retired vet. No free coverage, unless it is service connected. If a vet from war time, yes, can get free meds. But you have to fit the requirements.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Not true. I am a 20 year retired vet. No free coverage, unless it is service connected. If a vet from war time, yes, can get free meds. But you have to fit the requirements.
Jackpoet, Even if you are a combat veteran your meds are not free unless it is for a service connected issue, you still have to pay a co-pay based on income. The VA will put you in a priority category based on percentage of disability or service connected issue. Any veteran who is classified at 50% or more will be in priority 1.
Heres a link to the priority levels and who they service. http://veteransunited.org/vacategories.htm

·
Registered
101 Posts
your bike insurance should cover your medical if you ask for it. Tell you FIL to call his motorcycle insurance carrier, it should be an option. If not go somewhere else.

·
Registered
50 Posts
your bike insurance should cover your medical if you ask for it. Tell you FIL to call his motorcycle insurance carrier, it should be an option. If not go somewhere else.
Some insurance carriers provide medical liability. That may be for a passenger, not for the operator. Be sure to check.

Also some carriers do not provide medial coverage in some states. State Farm does not provide it in Ohio for example.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts