Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a newbie to Goldwings - had an FJR before - and I've just bought a gear indicator from Healtech...its the one that plugs direct into the bikes ECU port under the seat.

its a tiny thing and I plan to install it in front of the OD light on the dash (which will now be redundant). To do this I need to remove the trim that houses the LCD screen and which also goes round the ignition switch.

Before I break anything, does anyone know how this can be done (e.g. where the fasterners are) or better still have a page of the manual they can share / e-mail?

I've been trying to locate a manual, but it seems there isn't one for ther GL1800 2006 on (??).

Many Thanks.

Hedgehog:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
gear indicator

befor you cut any thing up you might try putting the display under the speaker grill--- when the bike is off you cant see it --- when the bike is on it show up perfectly

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks So-Cal. You're right.

I've just fitted it. Easiest way is indeed under one of the speaker grilles. Fix to side of grille moulding (not grille itself). However glue or velcro is required as the double sided tape supplied is rubbish.

Cable routes under left or right pocket, under tank edge (no need to remove, just tuck) under side panel and under seat to red ECU plug. Not overly generous in length.

Once in cannot easily be seen until its switched on and then perfectly clear.

Despite being labelled 'plug and play' the unit does have to be 'taught' the gears. Its easy though and only has to be done once. Jack up rear wheel, start engine and run through every gear when prompted. Takes 5 mins.

Seems to work OK, although will not register a change until clutch is released.... Useful though if you want to overtake fast and are wondering whether you are in 4th or 5th ..

Blue looks cool..

Hedgehog

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Installed a gear indicator on my 1500 years ago. Probably the most useful thing I ever added to the wing and I've added a bunch of stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One would wonder why you would need such a gadget? To each their own I guess.
Many would wonder the same thing about a motorcycle. You are correct though, to each his own. :eek::mad::D

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
When I look down and see the little black box with the red number in it I know I'm on my Wing and not in my car or pic-up. Sometimes Old Guys need a little help. :eek::rolleyes: Just saying to each his own.;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I recently installed one on my 05 trike and love it! IMHO, it should be standard equipment on all Wings.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
My 85 Aspencade had it built in. Don't know why they stop. Oh Wait I do know, they replaced it with a your trunks not latched thingy:p:rolleyes:.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
My thingy isn't in the trunk! :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh Wait I do know, they replaced it with a your trunks not latched thingy:p:rolleyes:.
"One would wonder why you would need such a gadget? To each, Honda's own I guess." :D:D:D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Dunno, they made sure there was a reverse gear indicator.:confused: I mean, I'm pretty certain any of us can tell when we're going backwards:eek::p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts