Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I managed to step on my old one, I need a new headset and I thought I'd just check and see what other people are using and how much they like it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
J&M Elites

Hi Toads,
I purchased the J&M Elites. Fit great and sound great. There are others on the market EdSets, and bluetooth types. But felt comfortable w/ these. IMHO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
J&M Elite

I just ordered the J&M Elite sets for me and my girlfriend. My hearing stinks so I had asked several people who have used them in the past. I'll let you know how it works out. I can't hear the stereo through the exterior speakers when riding down the road.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Headsets

Been using the J&M headsets for a couple years now. Really like them. They are very durable and the sound is clear. I don't use a mic mute, as I have the level set were I don't get a lot of wind noice, etc., so can't give you a recommendation there.

I would buy J&Ms again.

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I touched on this in another thread, but I'm curious about something. I see various models of the J&M headsets and I'm wondering what the real difference is between them. Are the differences in communication quality, in headphone audio quality, or all of the above?

I already have a pair of Cardo Scala headsets I got for my wife and I on other motorcycles, so I'm also thinking about just getting the 5 pin to 3.5mm adapter I've seen at one site so I can plug that in to listen to the nav system or radio, but I can still use the bluetooth to talk to my wife.

Ideally I would love to just get the Goldwing to broadcast bluetooth, but the cheapest device I see for that is $300.

·
Registered
32 Posts
communications education please...

Hey,

i am very new to the whole headset thing. i was wondering, after reading about the J and M sets what i really need. i might be asking for the whole world here but let me post my question...i would like to be able to communicate with other riders, talk on my phone if need be etc...

is there one system that handles all of this and what components are needed to fit what i am looking for?

thanks!

jeff

·
Registered
103 Posts
...Are the differences in communication quality, in headphone audio quality, or all of the above?

I already have a pair of Cardo Scala headsets I got for my wife and I on other motorcycles, so I'm also thinking about just getting the 5 pin to 3.5mm adapter I've seen at one site so I can plug that in to listen to the nav system or radio, but I can still use the bluetooth to talk to my wife.

Ideally I would love to just get the Goldwing to broadcast bluetooth, but the cheapest device I see for that is $300.
I would venture that few of us have the experience to give you a comparison of sound quality between the models, and if we could, it would be a different experience for you if you did the comparison.

I believe your idea for adapting your current headsets is a great plan; not expensive to modify your current equipment, which is a plus.

I am not convinced that the BlueTooth headsets are the way to go either. It is a very expensive option just to add your phone, if that's what you want.

I would recommend upgrading or adding a GPS device that handles your phone, an MP3, as well as your cell phone (such as the Zumo550 or Zumo660) and integrate it into the Wing. Or, get a switching device from Kennedy or J&M to integrate your phone into your Wing's audio system. Sure, you'll spend about the same amount of money as the BlueTooth headsets alone, but you'll get three accessories instead of one.

Of coure, going the GPS or switch route you wouldn't have wireless headsets, but why do you need those when you're on the bike? It's not like you can walk back to the trunk or trailer while you're motioring down the road. I guess there is a "cool factor" to consider regarding wireless headsets, but frankly, I don't mind the wire; it's invisible to me when I'm riding.

JMTCW

·
Registered
25 Posts
The convenient thing about the headsets I got is that they have a fairly decent range (for bluetooth) so they also work bike to bike when I'm riding with a friend I ride with now and then. I don't really care about getting a CB (which he doesn't have anyway), plus with the bluetooth headset you don't need to worry about 50 other people being on the same channel.

That said, I also find it nice to be able to just get on and off my motorcycle at stops without having to unplug everything. On the minus side, of course, the Scala Q2 doesn't support stereo over bluetooth or the FM receiver in the headset. The plus side is that, with the new headsets the MP3 jack in them does support stereo so if I plug that into the motorcycle anyway anything I play through the motorcycle radio will be stereo.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tralfaz:

Didn't realize you could use the BlueTooth sets for B2B comm; I guess that would be an advantage over the CB, for sure. The wire or wireless seems to be a preference thing.

I have a CB, and it doen't get much use unless I'm on a group ride, and then a lot of that chatter can get on your nerves if you're not in the right mood. I feel I spent a lot of cash for an antique technology that most of the time could be replaced by hand signals. :(

Thanks for the perspective.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, the group rides I go on just involve handsignals and following the guy at the head of the group, but those rides are usually just local rides. When I'm going 400 miles with just one other person on another motorcycle it's cool to be able to talk every now and then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My vote is EdSets

Hey gang,

I had J&M until I bought new Nolan N102 helmets and went with EdSets and totally love them. They are great quality and Ed is great to work with. You can plug your MP3 directly in if you don't care about your rider needing music.

Hope this helps
Toy4rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have the Honda Deluxe helmet headset designed for honda motorcycles, with the five pin plug that i purchased in Feb on 2009. i love the sound and easy fit to bike system. i have one set in the box, never been opened and i have one set i used, and i am now selling the set for 300.00. I paid 236.78 for each.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tralfaz:

Didn't realize you could use the BlueTooth sets for B2B comm; I guess that would be an advantage over the CB, for sure. The wire or wireless seems to be a preference thing.

I have a CB, and it doen't get much use unless I'm on a group ride, and then a lot of that chatter can get on your nerves if you're not in the right mood. I feel I spent a lot of cash for an antique technology that most of the time could be replaced by hand signals. :(

Thanks for the perspective.
I too believe at roughly a grand for cb, antenna, and install something better should come out of it. Nice on GWRRA group rides but thats about it. If I had to do it all over I would "waste" money on somthing else...............like more "safety CHROME"

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a set of Performance Headsets from J & M and they work fine. I'm not looking for concert hall sound quality when riding, just clear sound.
I also made my own adapter to connect another set of headphones that I have without a mike to the 5 pin on the GW. Actually it was quite simple. I got a 5 pin audio cord from Radio Shack and cut it in half and following Steve Saunders wiring diagram on his website spliced a normal MP3 headphone socket to it and plug the headphone jack into that. Works well and does not have the mike attached.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey,

i am very new to the whole headset thing. i was wondering, after reading about the J and M sets what i really need. i might be asking for the whole world here but let me post my question...i would like to be able to communicate with other riders, talk on my phone if need be etc...

is there one system that handles all of this and what components are needed to fit what i am looking for?

thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Jeff, My Son and I just ordered two Chatterbox GMRS X1 Bluetooth Communicators. These seem very versatile allowing
two Bluetooth devices to be paired with them,Cell or MP3,or Sirius.
The range is advertised to be 5 miles (we'll see).These will work rider to passenger as well.A bit pricey but we did'nt want to be limited and outgrow them later. I also ordered Honda Goldwing 5 pin
boom microphone headsets which plug directly into the factory plug
of my GW. These are for times riding solo with a passenger.

The first link is the simple Boom microphone headset.
The second link is the bike to bike Chatterbox communicators

http://imcmoto.com/products/honda-goldwing-headsets/5-pin-stereo-helmet-headset-w-boom-microphone-for-goldwing.html

http://store.valueaccessories.net/gmrsx1bluetoothcommunicatorkitwithdynamicnoisereductionheadsetfreeshipping.aspx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey,

thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Jeff, My Son and I just ordered two Chatterbox GMRS X1 Bluetooth Communicators. These seem very versatile allowing
two Bluetooth devices to be paired with them,Cell or MP3,or Sirius.
The range is advertised to be 5 miles (we'll see).These will work rider to passenger as well.A bit pricey but we did'nt want to be limited and outgrow them later. I also ordered Honda Goldwing 5 pin
boom microphone headsets which plug directly into the factory plug
of my GW. These are for times riding solo with a passenger.

The first link is the simple Boom microphone headset.
The second link is the bike to bike Chatterbox communicators

http://imcmoto.com/products/honda-goldwing-headsets/5-pin-stereo-helmet-headset-w-boom-microphone-for-goldwing.html

http://store.valueaccessories.net/gmrsx1bluetoothcommunicatorkitwithdynamicnoisereductionheadsetfreeshipping.aspx
I had the chatterbox and sold them. The range is more like 1/2 mile. The thing I didn't like is the VOX. My wife has her own wing and when we would talk you would miss the first word until the VOX kicked in. That was a problem when you ask a question and get a one word answer. You never get the transmission.

THen you have to make sure they are charged. If they go dad you are out of luck. I now have the JM and love them. I did have to get the CB's. THey are a piece of cake to install so don't let that put you off. All the connectors are already in place.

Additionally, to change the volume you are always feeling around your helmet for the right buttons.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I mounted my Chatterbox on the left side on the fairing within reach,used extensions to
the headsets and mounted the PTT switch on the left handlebar grip. I did'nt want the extra weight on my helmet and I prefer the PTT switch which comes with the unit rather than the VOX,PTT is simple, on or off. This setup works well for me. I don't care for old technology like CB's,not versatile enough for todays cellphones,satellite radio,GPS and so forth.I added a 12V charge line which is plugged into the cigarette lighter this plugs directly into the bottom of the Chatterbox and keeps the battery charged all the time.

-Robert-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.