Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this site but what I have seen the past few days of looking, it's really neat. Alot of info, it's great. My question is, I have a 09gl and when I ride without a helmet I listen to the radio at about 10-11. When I plug my headset in I have to turn it up to 25-26 to hear it. Anyone else's bike like this? I took it back to the dealer and they couldn't come up with a answer. I've even bought new headsets thinking my old ones from my 1500 were to old, but there was no difference. It's just bugging me knowing my 1500 wasn't like this.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello hacksaw, welcome to GWOF. maybe one of our 1800 wings can give you an answer

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have no answer for you except I have the same problem. The only thing I can come up with is:
With premium sound you have a amp which adds volume to the speakers. With the head sets by pass the amp and work off the radio it self.
My reasoning is this I have several bikes and amps on a couple of them. The amps do not work through the head set with any of them.

Just a thought

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

Maybe it might be a safety thing. I wouldn't want to get a very loud blast into my ear by mistake. Making you raise the volume might be just a safety issue.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First of all welcome to GWOF Hacksaw. Not too much in the service manual that I can find about the headset troubles you mention. Check and make sure that your i/c and headset settings are optimized is about all I can suggest. There is a definite difference in ouptput in the headsets vs the speaker volume to prevent eardrum damage though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input. I've talked to a few wingers in town and it's about 50-50. Some have the same problem and some don't.It's just weird. If me and the mrs. go for a ride with our helmets on and get back to the house and I forget to turn the volume back down, when I get on it later or the next day and push the headset button, now that will blow your ears out and stop your heart.

·
Registered
51 Posts
volume control

I had a 07 GL1800 and the volume in the helmet speakers was to low when at any speed above 40mph. But the newer GWs have a new selection incorporated with the radio station knob on the communication control panel. Push in the selection knob (you may have to push the knob several times to find the right one) there is the "Roger Beep" and others but keep pushing the knob in until you can determine if you have a selection for helmet speaker and for low or high volume. I now have a 2012 GW and it has these adjustments for the volume.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the site...I haven't had similar problems...I wonder if it could be the speaker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 06 does the same not sure y either also my headset cut's out a lot with wind noise i guess with,radio or ipod but only with headset on.wish headset had a sensitivity setting.not sure what the "roger beep" does. maybe thats the answer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in the 1800's I've checked it seems that the earlier models up to 04's don't have this problem.I'm going to go check out the 12's. my wife won't like it cause I'll probably come home with one and mine is only 2 yrs old but this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Audio settings

"Roger Bee'" is used to let others in the group know that the person xmitting on the CB has finished xmitting. Very annoying, the only reason I mentioned it in my previous reply was to help those who are not familiar with the audio control panel find the right knob. Sorry bout the misunderstanding.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
"Roger Bee'" is used to let others in the group know that the person xmitting on the CB has finished xmitting. Very annoying, the only reason I mentioned it in my previous reply was to help those who are not familiar with the audio control panel find the right knob. Sorry bout the misunderstanding.
Been on CB's most of my life but never heard that one before.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I have an '08 model and my volumn on the headset is too low to bother with. Is the knob you are talking about the one just under all of the preset buttons? I sure would like to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you using ear plugs? There are two reasons to use them. The first is that will protect your hearing. Once you have hearing loss, it will not come back; take from one who knows. The other reason is that the ear plugs screen out a lot of the background wind and road noise which interferes with your ability to hear your helmet headset. I have an '07 Wing and I run my volume between 10-14 with ear plugs in. If you've never used them, get the foam ones, squeeze them between your thumb and forefinger lengthwise so it fits in your ear canal. They will re-expand to seal the ear canal. They are not uncomfortable; I have worn them on 10-12 hour rides.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree. There are a few of us that do not have the choice of using ear plugs. I am 1 of those. I have tried them all, including personalized, custom fitted.
I have deformities due to rockets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
my 2008 has a setting for the auto volume for head set and for speakers. Push the volume knob it will toggle between the settings on the radio and set the head set for high.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very short version.
3/9/69
54 comrades against 600 nva
B40 rocket hit the barrel of my M16
2 hours later
B40 rocket hits 6 inches above my head
7 SKS rounds make meet up with me, I am not a happy camper
11 months 22 days and 17 surgery's later I'm walking again and I know my name

Left side ear top portion is gone, all bone structure, ear drum has to be remove, through the years a film grows over and closes the ear portion opening.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts