Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the J&M elite headsets, cost me roughly $700 and I was expecting the sound to be better than my $5 earbuds that came with my ipod but it sounds like we are listening to a transistor radio and at interstate speeds the sound is so bad that its is best described as noise with a little bit of music mixed in. even around town the sound quality is horrible. can anyone please give me some advice on any adjustments that make the sound better. for $700 I really expected "BOSE" quality sound instead I got 1960's am radio sound quality. I wish there was a way to connect my $5 earbuds into the 8pin jack so that we could enjoy the xm radio while traveling. we rode 300 miles today and wanted to listen to the Gators game but the sound quality was so bad we just muted it and my wife gave me score update from her phone .

we did enjoy the ride today, perfect weather.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't see how 2 headsets could cost you $700, unless you got new helmets also. Did you mount the headsets or did J&M do it? You also have to adjust the settings, volume, and mute, are the speakers next to your ears or mounted in the helmet above your ears? Makes a big difference in sound quality. I have 2 J&M headsets, one was $69.00 and the other about $249.00 and they both sound great. You can use your ear buds with the headset, J&M sells an adaptor that plugs in between your helmet cord and the bike hook up and it has a place to plug in your 3.5 mm ear phones into it. Edsets also sells them
http://www.edsets.com/edsets_adapters

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Could it be that you are getting road noise through the mic's. If you have got the mute set up on the bike properly, i think you can get a mix of outside noise mixed with you audios system sound.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see how 2 headsets could cost you $700, unless you got new helmets also.

http://www.edsets.com/edsets_adapters
two headsets at $249.
two lower cords at $100
helmets nots inculded
equals $700 to J&M , I have the receipt. being quite new to the goldwing thing I can best describe this as I got robbed, just not at gun point.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My wife could not hear with her set of J&M helmet speakers--I heard super with mine. Go to looking at her helmet and found the speakers mounted in a cloth pocket, putting a layer of sound absorbing cloth between her speakers and her ears. Eliminated the cloth with some minor surgery and helped her hear by 200%.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I have a local riding buddy that bought a pair of J&M headsets off Ebay and gave them to me to try/buy. I believe them to be the least expensive model ( one has a bad hook-up cord ). I still have the good set attached to my helmet and the good cord in the trunk. I don't like them for two reasons: The sound quality isn't what I anticipated and the cord hook-up is not going to work easily with my significant other. I'm opting for the wireless Scala G4 communication headsets. My wife lives by her Blackberry and the Bluetooth capability with the Scala will better serve her fancy. Riders Discount has a pair waiting for me in the wings for $310. Sound quality will be what it is and I'm not expecting it to be of studio quality. I just need to check on her once in awhile back there and she needs to feel in touch with the world on her Blackberry.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I agree with Ron. Check the audio settings including mike settings and that may help with the sound. No helmet sound system is perfect because you have to deal with wind noise and such. Ear buds will give you the best sound because they eliminate all outside interference which helmet headsets can't do. I have J&M which they installed in my Nolan and they seem fine for me. But I'm not a music expert and the ears are not what they used to be:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have the el-cheapo j&m headset in two of my helmets and the volume of sound isn't bad but the quality is but i'll still get another set for dewey's helmet

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Like Joe says.... Its a motorcycle, expect wind!

The intercom volume might be high, which picks up the sound off of your mic and puts it back in your ear and partially muting your music.

Another option. Get a half helmet, go ride with some Harley boys for an hour. Go back and get your full face helmet with electronics and see how nice it now sounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have been thinking about the headsets but am curious as to why one would need them for the radio. I listen to superb music through the speaker system at 65mph wearing a full face helmet. Have also caught the Tiger game on the radio without any problem. Certainly not trying to be a jerk but rather just curious as to what the headsets would be of value for when listening to the radio. Ride safe!

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Have been thinking about the headsets but am curious as to why one would need them for the radio. I listen to superb music through the speaker system at 65mph wearing a full face helmet. Have also caught the Tiger game on the radio without any problem. Certainly not trying to be a jerk but rather just curious as to what the headsets would be of value for when listening to the radio. Ride safe!

Mellowing, welcome to the forum. If you tried a headset, you would know what others are talking about.

Same as a darkside tire. :)

You would never go back.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site mellowing. Headsets have pros and cons, but have value just the same I think. Depends on conditions and speed as to how well they perform in most cases. High speed (illegally high) takes the usage out all but completely as do strong crosswinds. I never have the GPS on my headsets (hate that voice!!!) and if I could I'd disable the voice prompt totally. Very useful for driver passenger comm and at reasonable speeds it's nice to have the music inside as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome Mello to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Headsets also have value when used as the intercom with your passenger. Trying to talk to someone on the back at 70mph is tough on a Wing... I can't imagine what it must be like on a Harley..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Static Insulators

Nobody has mentioned that you can install electrical insulators (for lack of better term) on your electrical wiring that eliminates electrical static coming from your alternator. It is a pain to put them in but it completely eliminated the static I was hearing in my headsets. Don't give up, I have the elite headsets also and they sound great... now.

I think the insulators were also made by J&M.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't want to beat a dead horse but can someone please give me some honest advice on headsets as the J&M headsets I have are absolute junk. I have tried everything that has been suggested here and nothing seems to work. I even went to full face helmets and still my wife and I can not hear what the other is saying and no we are not old and our hearing is just fine. We can barely make out what the other is saying when we are riding around town but we are completely unable to talk at interstate speeds. I don't even care about music anymore but it would be nice if we could at least talk to each other without her having to lean over my shoulder and I having to lean back to talk.
anyone else using a good headset that is not J&M

thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
It sounds to me like the intercom system on the bike may be malfunctioning.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
My wife and I have the Cardo Scala blue-tooth set which works well with the exception of wind noise at 70 + mph. The wind noise is a function of our modular helmets, IMO. They're crystal clear at lower speeds.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got these and they work great. Purchased an optional mount that has an earbud jack instead of wired speakers so I can listen to my music, or make/receive phone calls via my Droid X while still communicating with my flower, all without any road noise.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10.php?tab_menu=overview

I had a J&M headset that came with my bike but didn't like the road noise over my music.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Recently received the Scala G4 pair for less than $300 delivered. Bluetooth everything with a FM tuner built in along with a jack for I-pod , etc. Hasn't been on a run yet to comment on wind noise.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts