Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on which of two headsets to purchase,one is J&M-8154B and the other is IMC-HS-G130.I can't afford the elite series at the time and never had a headset before, so I am totally ignorant on these things.Any input or advise is a great help.And thank you in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the J&M and it does a great job for me. They make larger more powerfull speakers that you can replace the smaller ones later. They will have better sound for stereo but as far as the ICOM system it works great. I cannot speak on the IMC as I have never used them.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Several years ago I try a Hondaline headset and didn't like it. I have had one Edset but have been using J&M on the last 3 or 4 Goldwings. I'm currently using a J&M headset that I used on my 1994 GL1500SE (18 years).

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I have a set of J&M's and really like them. Except for the cord that attaches to the helmet. If you set your helmet on the seat and it rests on that cord it goes bad in a few months. At least that is what a vendor told me last month. I'm about to put my third set on it in three years. Either I've got to learn to leave the helmet someplace else or figure out a way to strengthen that spot.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I sprung for the Hondaline sets at the start, but hated the plugs. Now both of us are using J&M bargain models; no complaints at all except for the speaker lead wire I broke:eek::rolleyes: and the missing cable my sig other seems to have misplaced for hers:mad: which is of course, my responsibility to replace:p

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Budoka,
I must be married to her sister:) same treatment I get.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
crownfire, Why not just unplug it at the helmet and not have the problem??
It's a pain to unplug and plug right there, but that is what I'll end up doing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had an IMC comm system on my ST 1300. It was a basic system and the headsets sounded good for the price. I now have 15 year old J&M that came with my wing. They sound a little better than the IMC even being 15 years old. The J&M are a little more heavy duty, but the mic is more bulky on my J&M and does not fit in my full face as well. The IMC mic is very thin and still sounds good to the passenger. I would get what you can afford right now. You can always upgrade down the road when you see how you like having a headset, and the funds become available.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I built the headsets for my wife's and my helmets, I think the total cost was about 50.00. I use elect mics instead of dynamic mics. The elect mics provided much better audio, they do require a bias circuit which I built into the helmets. I think I have way to much time on my hands, LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.