Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, as we were getting ready to go to the clubhouse, I noticed I didn't have headlights. After messing around a bit it appears that if I wiggle the starter switch the lights come on. Is this a short? How difficult is it to open the right hand switch module on an '06. Anything to look out for like flying springs, etc? How do I fix this problem?

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
I had this happen to me last year : Started up the bike , no headlights. I douched the starter switch with what I had on hand " WD-40 ". Hasn't reoccurred yet. Same thing with my handlebar radio station changer lever. Douched it with " WD-40 " .

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Be careful with WD40, not only are the fumes harmful, it's also an attractant for dirt and moisture:sad:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be careful with WD40, not only are the fumes harmful, it's also an attractant for dirt and moisture:sad:
Honda doesn't recommend using WD on their switches. However, they do recommend dropping $$$ on new switches. Hmmm...:nah:

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Actually when spraying switches, electrical contacts & such you should always us an Electrical Contact spray & afterwards blow out the device with some compressed air for the best results. The reason is WD leaves a residue that as the boss says attracts dirt/dust. It also gets gummy as well.

Usually Radio Shack has an electrical contact spray that works great.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Use contact cleaner on them. They can be taken apart and cleaned but be careful, there are small springs in there.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Same thing on my Shadow. I had to take it apart to clean it out. Then you should use some dielectric grease.

I actually ended up breaking the plastic clip inside and I had to buy new switches for the left and right side. Guess what? You have to buy the whole kit and kaboodle. The don't just sell switches.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same thing on my Shadow. I had to take it apart to clean it out. Then you should use some dielectric grease.

I actually ended up breaking the plastic clip inside and I had to buy new switches for the left and right side. Guess what? You have to buy the whole kit and kaboodle. The don't just sell switches.
How much? In 2013 $?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.