Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights will not pulse ! I have checked the bulbs and they are burning on low and bright , but can't get them to pulse . Suggestions appreciated !!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
96 1500 se

My headlights will not pulse ! I have checked the bulbs and they are burning on low and bright , but can't get them to pulse . Suggestions appreciated !!
It is a 1996 1500 SE ! I guess it helps to know what bike your trying to repair ! Thank guys !!

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Does your wing have a headlight modulator???

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hmmm....Did you install it or was it there when you bought the wing?

The modulator is a plug n play device on your headlights. It also has a sensor to "see" daylight or dark.....Maybe the sensor is blocked and it thinks it is dark time.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
modulator

Hmmm....Did you install it or was it there when you bought the wing?

The modulator is a plug n play device on your headlights. It also has a sensor to "see" daylight or dark.....Maybe the sensor is blocked and it thinks it is dark time.
It was on the bike when i bought it 2 yrs. ago ! I have never had any problem with it before today . Where is it located ? I checked the sensor and wiped it off and it appears to be fine !

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
ok you said you checked the sensor....that's good...cause you know where it is located as the PO could have placed it anywhere on the wing.....Mine is up front near the front grill.

As far as the unit itself it is plugged in right behind your headlight....so that means if you are going to get to it you have to remove all the stuff you would remove to change out the headlight bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sensor

ok you said you checked the sensor....that's good...cause you know where it is located as the PO could have placed it anywhere on the wing.....Mine is up front near the front grill.

As far as the unit itself it is plugged in right behind your headlight....so that means if you are going to get to it you have to remove all the stuff you would remove to change out the headlight bulb.
Yes , mine is sticking out the front grill ! I do not want to take this bike apart , but i guess i have no choice since i am not paying the shop to rob me ! I can clean the windshield and replace bulbs while i am in there i guess . No need to have it apart and not do it all once i am in there ! Thanks for the help !! I was really hoping you would say it is a fuse or something much simpler !! : )

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Nope sorry...not a fuse. I would do like you said and clean and replace stuff (lights) while I was in there too. I have not heard of one of these just going bad though. I guess it can happen. It is a sealed unit with wires that plugs into the headlight and the sensor wire is run to a location to "see" daylight.
Be sure to post and let us know what you find wrong. Though I suspect you will have to replace the unit.

BTW...Where in North Alabama are you located?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Here is a picture I found of the one I have in my wing...

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Couple of things. Most Modulators are manufactured to keep the headlights on if there is a fault in the device or system.
So either; check to make sure each headlight that is attached to the modulator is still attached (plugged in) or
your modulator is kaput.
Personally, I like the Comagination unit if your going to replace it. I've had a Comagination on my Triumph and just had one installed ($80.00 for 1 hour labor) on my GW.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
All modulators are not "on" the headlamps.
Before you start, can you get in touch with the person that installed it to find out brand and where it's mounted?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Nope sorry...not a fuse. I would do like you said and clean and replace stuff (lights) while I was in there too. I have not heard of one of these just going bad though. I guess it can happen. It is a sealed unit with wires that plugs into the headlight and the sensor wire is run to a location to "see" daylight.
Be sure to post and let us know what you find wrong. Though I suspect you will have to replace the unit.

BTW...Where in North Alabama are you located?
I am in Athens Al. We are almost neighbors ! I will let you know when i find the problem , as of now i'm not in any rush to work on it . I figure as long as i have a headlight it is good to go until i have more time to play with it . I appreciate your help and when you get home maybe we can get together at a Crackerbarrel !! Benny

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

Before you start, can you get in touch with the person that installed it to find out brand and where it's mounted?
I appreciate it TF ! I will let you know what i find when i get into it !! Benny

·
Registered
109 Posts
These are my attention getting lights :D...while lane splitting and coming through cross traffic:eek:
made by SOUNDOFF - Ghost Lights (LED) - 32 flash patterns.
Click on the picture to watch video.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Legal ?

These are my attention getting lights :D...while lane splitting and coming through cross traffic:eek:
made by SOUNDOFF - Ghost Lights (LED) - 32 flash patterns.
Click on the picture to watch video.

These are for emergency vehicles aren't they ? I can see me using those on my bike and the locals would be dancing me all the way to jail ! I like them and wish i could use them , but Alabama gets upset over the little blue led on the wiper washer on a car ! My son almost went to jail for having the blue on his washer and you could barely see it and it didn't even flash , the locals acted as if he had committed a Federal crime !! lol

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Tf you maybe correct.....When I was doing research for one for my 1500 wing all the ones I looked at (at the time) did plug into the back of the headlight where the wiring harness connects to the light. That was 2-3 years ago...they may have different ones now.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Tf you maybe correct.....When I was doing research for one for my 1500 wing all the ones I looked at (at the time) did plug into the back of the headlight where the wiring harness connects to the light. That was 2-3 years ago...they may have different ones now.
No indication in the OP, it was a 1500! Don't know if those can be under the seat, probably not!

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
No indication in the OP, it was a 1500! Don't know if those can be under the seat, probably not!
In post number two he states it is a 96 1500 SE.......

I don't think it would be mounted under the seat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts