Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.....Greetings from Alaska ! When are you gonna ride up here? ........ Let me know !!
Anyhow, I am replacing my burned out headlight. ('93 Aspencade). I've got it all apart and am ready to buy replacement bulbs.....do you recommend staying w/ the OEM 45/45W bulbs, or kicking it up a notch to something brighter? If so, what would you recommend...... and a source? Thanx guys.......(Seriously, when are you coming up?)

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
With all due respect to the Dawg. I put these in my 1500 & I love them & so did the guys I ride with. They said they lit things up like Broadway. I encountered no issues with any of the electrical, sockets or switches. I would think that up in your area the extra light would be good.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...247_goldwing_lighting_accessories/des/?page=5

Another way you could go would be to purchase driving lights for when you need them. Once I bought the H4's I never felt the need for driving lights.

By the way "What's for supper?":D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Could be a difference in that I just noticed you are talking about a 93(1500) vs my post was concerning posts I've read on another board about upping the "heat" of bulbs in 1800 headlamps.
If you do get to much heat the 1st thing that happens is the reflector surface above the bulb will start to darken in the housing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
what is the bulb number? I own a NAPA store. I can see if it is available in other options, such as long Life, Brite lite, True View, or Silverline. All are brighter with no wattage change.

·
Registered
470 Posts
With all due respect to the Dawg. I put these in my 1500 & I love them & so did the guys I ride with. They said they lit things up like Broadway. I encountered no issues with any of the electrical, sockets or switches. I would think that up in your area the extra light would be good.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...247_goldwing_lighting_accessories/des/?page=5

Another way you could go would be to purchase driving lights for when you need them. Once I bought the H4's I never felt the need for driving lights.

By the way "What's for supper?":D
Hey foss..I took your advice & ordered two Piaa bulbs & a trigger wheel for my '88 from Wingstuff; That was on Jun 29th, unfortunately they seem to have ignored me. I checked my order status this morning ..it's listed as "in process". I called them today & after 20 mins on hold I got a guy who said he couldn't help me. But, he did tell me they were waiting for the wheel, it came in LAST Thurs.
Says there is one guy who does international orders..said that guy would call me as soon as he gets in the office..that was @ 9:10..this morning! No call, I'm not too impressed with the way they deal with customers. About an hr ago I sent an email telling them to cancel my order. That was my first AND last with them.:mad: I still would like a trigger wheel..know any OTHER suppliers???...Thanks.:)

·
Registered
470 Posts
How do ya LIKE that? Just after I posted my whiney message I get an email from Wingstuff..telling me my order has been shipped! Well that takes the cake, I tell them to cancel & suddenly they have the parts! what kind of way is that to do business? :mad::mad::(
Now I'm down another week..waiting for those igits!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
what is the bulb number? I own a NAPA store. I can see if it is available in other options, such as long Life, Brite lite, True View, or Silverline. All are brighter with no wattage change.
i was on the napa website a few weeks ago looking for the sylvania silverstar h4 st motorcycle bulb but couldn't find it only the silverstar bulbs for cages

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi detdrbuzzard..... aren't the Silverstar 9003 bulbs the right ones?
I see a lot available on Amazon. Is there a diff between "motorcycle" and "auto" bulbs?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm waiting for a pair of Piaa H-4 Super White anti vibration bulbs; I don't know if I need adapters or not, I ordered a pair anyway!:)
Better to have it & not need it, rather than need it & not have it!:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I went ahead and did it, right or wrong. I installed Sylvania 9003 Standard bulbs. They are 60/55W vs. OEM 45/45W bulbs. They work fine, fit fine, and no issues so far, but I haven't ridden much yet with them. I'm thinking they will be fine, and have to be brighter than original. (And only $9). At first I wanted the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra, but I read a lot of comments on line re: short life, and even Sylvania says they have a much shorter life than Standard......I don't want to have to be replacing these things often, and when they go out I'm riding daytime W/O headlight, and not even knowing it for awhile........I like the visibility they give us. And here in Alaska, when it's warm enough to ride, there's mostly not much darkness anyway. I'll let you know if it all goes "tango uniform".

Hey fossil.....re: "supper"........ anything you like, but PLEASE, not king crab legs AGAIN........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts