Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone like to weigh in with their opinion of installing a headlight modulator? Was thinking about this and was wondering what others in the forum thought. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I installed one on my 2000SE. I decided on the Kisan unit, with the exception of drilling a 10mm hole in the tunnel cover for the photo senser (my choice of location), just plug and play. They even supply text on the federal DOT law allowing the unit on motorcycles, some cops aren't aware they are legal, I asked one. It uses your factory high/low beam switch to turn on and off and is programmable by using the same switch. Most cagers don't like them, opinions are mixed among riders, it does work! First day I put it on, rode to a friends to show him, a car in his housing area pulled out 6' from a stop sign, stopped and let me pass, I even had one car pull over for me on the interstate. They may not like it, but they definately see the flash.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well i am not a fan of them....... but....... they do what they are designed to do, they get your attention. So if that is your goal, then get it. And after all, being an ole Harley guy, it is another goodie for the scoot so it can't be all bad.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
I was considering one, however I've read where there is a consesus of people that feel they attract attention the wrong way. The theory of looking at something and actually driving towards it. Not sure now for myself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have them on both my bikes and my cop nephew has one on his concours which he rides alsmost everyday to work. A lot of people are stupid, that is why they pull over (No blue or red lights, don't pull over or slow down). Just my opion and everyone has one. Linden

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I bought my 2000 GL1500 SE 4 years ago and it had one. I rarely use it but on occasion when I'm aproaching an intersection with a vehicle ready to turn left in front of me I turn them on for a few seconds. I have had people tell me that some one might mistaken them to mean that your flashing them to give them the right away. I do not believe in that myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Headlite Modulator

Loud pipes save lives. They (cagers) don't like them either. A headlite modulator can save your life too. I don't care if a cager doesn't like my flashing headlight to keep him or her from turning in front of me and killing me. They will like it less to be telling the Officer that they "Just didn't see" that poor dead motorcyclist.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I failed to mention in my previous reply, I believe that the Topeka Kansas Police Ddepartment is running modulators on their motorcycles. I live in the Kansas City area and read something about it in the paper. If you get pulled over by one of these guys, you deserve the ticket!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that since they only work during daylight hours and when you turn on your high beams (thus giving you control) i will probably do this. I've had too many close calls with cars making a left turn in front of me. And, since we can't shoot them maybe a warning will help. My white bike and white helmet with black visor already makes me look like a motor officer so what the hell. I'm also going to modulate my brake lights and add some extra modulated LED lights to the rear. Thanks for all of the comments.

·
Registered
143 Posts
good thoughts, I added the wig wag by back off to the trunk lights and added the light stripe under the licence plate, also have the lights of the side of the saddle bags, makes a big difference. Fairing lights and ring of fire help also, plus I try not to ride at night.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed one and think its a good safety feature. I don't use it all the time. Mostly in in-town traffic. On the interstate, it doesn't seem to add much value. And with a group of riders, it is just annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts