Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed out to Colorado and Wyoming from the Texas Hill Country today (Aug 26) for 3 weeks. My brother & I are meeting in Mesa Verde Nat Park. He is coming from Nothern California. I'm really looking foreward to this trip & I will give a report when I return. I hope to see some fellow Goldwing travelers out there.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Make sure you take a lot of pics.. We love pics... Ride safe and have a great trip..

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Snoop, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Little lady & I really liked Mesa Verde. Like Two Wheel says post some pics.

Be careful on the Mesa Verde road lots of construction. We really liked the Cliff Palace. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We went to Mesa Verde first week of July, from Tulsa. They are are working on the road going up there. It took quite a while, in some places only one lane and they escourt you.
We stayed at the lodge, had a balcony looking out over the park.
Black Canyon of the Gunyson is another great place, didnt want to leave.

Actually I want to go back...now....mmm, mmm, mmm

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trip Report - Texas Hill Country to Colorado

Just got back - great trip but very tired. I headed up to Shawnee Oklahoma first for relatives. Shawnee has a GIANT Honda dealership. Had some strong side winds going through Oklahoma Panhandle & stayed at Great Sand Dunes Nat Park. It's great hiking on the sand dunes in on a full moon night. It started raining about 2:00 AM but stayed dry in the tent. It slacked up about 5am so I packed up real quick & rode most of the day in the rain. Wolf Creek pass was beautiful - thick fog - which it seems like it has every time I go through there. After Durango the rain stopped & by the time I got to Mesa Verde it was beautiful. My brother waiting at the camp sight (from Northern Calif)! I guess the front was lucky – it was clear & cool after that.
We spent 4 days at Mesa Verde. The construction wasn't to bad, only short delays. That is a great road. We road it many times & hiked every trail there - the ruins are fantastic. It wasn’t crowded at all. Headed out of there to Telluride & messed around there for the day & then to Ouray & camped at the park there & hiked some. Then to Black Canyon of the Gunnison & camped on the River – a great camp spot. The road down to the river is wild. Hiked all the trails there & spent a day riding up to Crested Butte & back.
Headed out of there after a few days up through Carbondale & Aspen & up over Independence Pass. Great ride but Labor Day traffic was a problem. Stayed the night at a National Forest campground near Leadville. Messed around there part of the day & then a fabulous ride up to Rocky Mtn Nat Park. Camped there for 4 nights & hiked. They have a shuttle that makes hiking really convenient. It only rained on us about 4 hours one afternoon at RMNP. After Labor Day not many people in the park - nice. Hiked a lot there, saw the sights & then each headed home. Managed to ride up Pikes Reak on the way home. After Raton Pass New Mexico & Texas seem to go on forever. The ride back always seems longer & more tiring that the ride out when I’m fresh. We were very fortunate on the weather – especially for Colorado. About 3,300 miles - Great trip!

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Glad you had a great time Snoop. I only have 1 Question for you. Where are the photos?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have some photos shortly, My brother is the picture taker.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, what a great trip..

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
What a great trip. Look forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It does sound great. Would be better with pictures... Ha ha. My wife laughs at me whenever we stop somewhere, because I run to the computer to post pictures on here....:eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Were waiting......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts