Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i think i may have a cracked head but would more input i replaced the head gaskets in feb runs great but two days ago when i went to start the bike it had a little miss and white smoke kile crazy but cleared up but does it every time i start it after it sets for a couple of minutes imj thinking crcked head. thoughts please

·
Premium Member
11,020 Posts
The last time I talked about smoke on here I got key board shot. But I will take the chance and try to give my thoughts. White smoke can be oil getting into the cylinder:

1/ Valve guide seals. Is it blowing smoke on the side stand side. Oil may be getting past the seals while on the side stand. If it is blowing smoke on the side stand side, try putting on the centre stand and see if it still blows white smoke. Valve guide tend to let oil past the seal when the motor is in the high vaccuum state. That is with a closed throtle and then when you take off again there will be a lot of smoke until it clears. Or the valve guides could be worn.

Was the heads checked for warpage before they were put back on.

2/ It could be a cracked head and getting oil into the cylinder, but most times with a cracked head I find it crackes from the combustion to the water and the gases get forced into the cooling system. The motor will run hot as it pressurises and forces the water out. To check that, run the motor with the radiator cap off until it is hot. Top the radiator to the top and give it a few rpms. Watch for bubbles in the radiator. If there is bubbles you have a cracked head or a head gasket gone.

Hope this helps. Eric

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
White smoke is an indicator of a/f in the combustion chamber(s). Could be warpage, cracks in the water jacket or a cracked head. It's also possible there is a fold or kink/split in the gasket that was replaced. Get it looked at in any case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it was a head gasket looks like it came apart between 1 and 3 sent the gasket back to the company they wanted to see it.only had 120 miles on it.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
That's good news. Gaskets can be fragile so use caution during the install.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just replaced the left side cylinder head on my 86, I put new gaskets in, the service book I have says 40 ft pds for the cylinder heads, I did that and the head leaked water out of the rear cylinder onto the side stand area. I removed the valve cover, torqued the crap out of the head bolts with my 1/2 inch socket wrench, walah no more leaks and runs like a champ now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts