Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having major problems with my headsets. I am picking up noise from tires on pavement around me, static, noise from my own bike. When I get over 40mph it is so loud I can't hear my wife talk on the intercom. And it is when the intercom is turned on. If I am just playing the radio or/and CB, no problem. I spoke to Wingstuff about purchasing a new really good head set, and they said not to, that my problem is that the intercom is set too high. I said that if I had it just high enough to each hear when setting still, it still done this. He said it is not the volume control, it is the internal settings on the intercom. It should be set between 8 and 9.

So now the question. Does anyone know what he is talking about? I looked in the owners manual and it does not address that. Are any of you aware of what he is talking about and how to correct or at least check out what setting it is on?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Hey Jack....I have the 02 GL1800 and may be way off base.
On the 1800 you have to push the volume button down while turning to adjust intercom volume. If you have done that, I am of no assistance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jack....I have the 02 GL1800 and may be way off base.
On the 1800 you have to push the volume button down while turning to adjust intercom volume. If you have done that, I am of no assistance.
That is exactly what he was saying. However, There is no pushing down the volume control on my 1500. However, thanks for your reply, as I was a little lost on what he had said. I did try pushing down on the volume control but there was no give. I didn't really know what he was saying. You made that clear. I wonder if there is a difference between that old of a bike and the 1800. But thanks, for replying

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do you have an Interstate, Aspencade or SE? I have not had any problems that you describe with my 93 Interstate. Do you have passenger intercom/volume controls installed? Biggest problem I have i wind noise from my wife's mic.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have an Interstate, Aspencade or SE? I have not had any problems that you describe with my 93 Interstate. Do you have passenger intercom/volume controls installed? Biggest problem I have i wind noise from my wife's mic.
No, there are no controls for the wife to handle. Wind noise I can understand somewhat, if I am riding on a concrete road, the tire noise is being picked up. A car or truck comes from the rear and you hear him coming, the his static as he passes. It is picking up noise from my own engine etc. When I have the CB and/or the radio on the head sets without the intercom, there is no problem. But when I turn on the intercom, WOW/.

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Jack do you have your owner manual for the bike on page 84 it cover the mute knob. The knob in the center one of the 5 across the bottom of the radio.
If you have it turned counterclockwise, it takes very little sound or voice to activate the audio. Turn it clockwise take more voice to activate the system.
Try adjusting the mute knob see if that helps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack do you have your owner manual for the bike on page 84 it cover the mute knob. The knob in the center one of the 5 across the bottom of the radio.
If you have it turned counterclockwise, it takes very little sound or voice to activate the audio. Turn it clockwise take more voice to activate the system.
Try adjusting the mute knob see if that helps.
Thanks Ron. Will give that a shot and get back to you. We are about to get between 2 and 3 inches of rain tonight, tomorrow and Saturday. It might be Sunday before I can check that out. But it will be my first priority. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had read that page, but misunderstood what it was telling me. I thought that muted the radio so you could hear the intercom, but am going to give it a shot. I keep it right in the middle right now, but will turn it all the way and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
There is also the mic mute system, that you can shutt the mic's off when you're not talk.
Works of the CB push to talk switch. I have them on our 93 aspencade, shut all out side input out.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Also check to see where your AVC knob is set, the AVC is the Automatic Volume Control, what this does is it increases volume as the bike increases speed. There are no external mic gain adjust on the system, just volume adjust. There is a sort of mic sensitivity adjust called "mute" but this works in conjunction with the AM/FM and CB radio, this adjust how fast these radios will mute when you talk on the IC.
What type of helmets are you using?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also check to see where your AVC knob is set, the AVC is the Automatic Volume Control, what this does is it increases volume as the bike increases speed. There are no external mic gain adjust on the system, just volume adjust. There is a sort of mic sensitivity adjust called "mute" but this works in conjunction with the AM/FM and CB radio, this adjust how fast these radios will mute when you talk on the IC.
What type of helmets are you using?
Riding today, after I swapped the headsets from helmet to helmet and looked at the mikes and found they had openings on both sides of the mike, I blocked one side of both mikes and it made a big difference. I tried turning the mute button to no effect. I have the AVC set in the middle. My radio does increase in volume as the bike increased speed. This works well.

As I said, had big improvement today, will be checking out again tomorrow to ensure this is a permanent change.

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
I've only seen this once several years ago where the mic was pointed away from the mouth.. Are you sure your mic is pointed in the right direction. Domed side should be facing your mouth, flat side away from you. Some mics have a noise canceling circuit that uses the input from the back side in noise canceling.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've only seen this once several years ago where the mic was pointed away from the mouth.. Are you sure your mic is pointed in the right direction. Domed side should be facing your mouth, flat side away from you. Some mics have a noise canceling circuit that uses the input from the back side in noise canceling.
Thanks Ron, I will check that out also. Always something isn't it?

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
Glad you are gaining ground on this. It's often a combination of two or more little things that needs sorting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you are gaining ground on this. It's often a combination of two or more little things that needs sorting.
Thanks guys for the help and encouragement. We took it out this morning, and even using her 1/2 helmet, we have knocked the noise level way down to acceptable levels now. I took apart all three headsets and re installed them, checking the mikes and blocking off one side with a piece of velcro. That seemed to set them up.

Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts