Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a 05 last weekend and it did not have a cb, head set, or mic. I wanted some advise and also wanted to know how much I could do with the head set.

What would be a good quality head set for my wife and I. I see some have used the J&M 279UM. Is the the best head set for the money?

I would like to listen to music, talk on the intercom or cb. I would also like to have my phone connected to my head set and have my wife's phone connected to her headset. I would be great to make a call and answer a call with out looking at the phone.

Any suggestions or am I asking way to much.

Thanks,

Excited new Goldwing owner.
By the way I spent about 4 hours cleaning up the bike today and it looks great!!!.

Nelson

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey Nelson,
We are not far away. You ask a common question and you might do a search to see what has been said before. I bought a 1500 in May and have been going thru the same thought process. It seems there is no perfect answer and it is perplexing. I finally had to sit down and write down all I wanted and then prioritized them. It kind of cleared it up for me. You may have to make choices as well and decide what is a necessity ,what is not and how much $$ or hassle it's worth to you.

for me it was :
radio and mp3 going thru the speakers
I am going to fuse gps and cb in one speaker in helmet and
intercomm in the other helmet speaker.
I get it all that way and don't care whether I needed info in stereo or mono, just as long as I can hear it.

cant' say yet if this works good or not.
I am prepping the body parts and about to paint so I will be tackling the electronics and general maint. in the next couple of weeks while I wait for the paint to dry.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I just got a J&M set for my IS33 and I paid something like $79 from Wingstuff. The Honda set I got for the Mrs was almost $200. Kicker is that the Hondaline box has what looks like identical J&M components inside! Check that, except for the instructions, J&M's are much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They have a new system out now that's alot of bang for the buck, all wireless for you and the passenger. You can talk on the phone, radio and the passenger. Don't recall the name but there are not to many blue tooth systems out there. J&m i personaly have had problems with the headset speakers not working and i paid over $400.00 for the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello Nelson, I think the only way you can get everything you are asking for is 1, J&M headset, J&M CB install, to ge one cell-phone to one headset, to get the other to another headset, you will need to install Cardo Scaler(cell-phone bluetooth) to each helmet, this is what I did to connect 2 different phones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Different kind of headset?

On a sort of different note, is there a headset out there that I can use on my GL1800 without using a helmet. I have seen one, by a company called IMC I believe, but the reviews consider it uncomfortable for anything over an hour. I would like something that is comfortable for over 3 hours of riding.
Thanks,
Big "R"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is how I am setup right now. I have the J&M headset with mic. for the CB/Intercom. I have a Garmin 885T GPS that has an MP3 player built in plus Bluetooth. It also has the FM transmitter built in. I use the GPS for my music plus tying it to my phone it transfers all of my phonebook to the GPS. If a call comes in in theory I could answer it but it would be hard to talk due to wind.
So what happens is I can listen to my music, catch any phone calls, hear directions, and talk on the CB. Not perfect but getting there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey JeffM,
You use a helmet with it though, huh?
I don't use a helmet. Is your system wireless?
On mine it wouldn't matter if it was with a helmet or not. It is still coming through the bikes system. It is wireless from the phone to the GPS and transmitted to a vacant FM station frequency.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Jeff, you mean the headset w/mic can be worn with or without a helmet? that would be the ideal setup for me. How do you do that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The knowledge I've read expressed in this thread makes me think this may be exactly where I need to post my query. I'll try to be as exact yet to the point as I can. We have an 03, 1800 trike. The radio that was on it quit so it was replaced. Now, less than 2 years of minimal use, we are having audio problems again. Husband's idea was to replace again, but we're having problems locating one. Hence this posting for ideas as to what may be the problem before forking the major $$$ in another new one.
All features of the radio/cb work fine externally. Once the intercom button is pressed to send audio via the headsets in our helmets, all sound quits. We cannot hear each other speaking, nor hear the radio or cb. We don't know if the problem is in the intercom button on the radio, or somewhere else, and we can't seem to find anyone local to give any assisstance or ideas where to start with the problem. HELP!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steve, thank you for your response. Do you happen to know if the switch can be replaced or know of a source we can go to for more assisstance?

·
Banned
5 Posts
I installed a gl2way.com device, which gave me CB & FRS, integrates like the factory Honda CB but offers more (for less $$). It also has a GPS and Cellphone input which I have yet to try. The idea being that if the GPS alert comes, it will always be able to interrupt and mute your music much like the CB does (whether you use headsets or the speakers).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Salyzyn,
when you bought the gl2way device, did you also purchase all the accessories for it? Like the firestick antenna, FRS, GMRS, GPS, etc.
Also, was it hard to install into the GL1800?
I have the navi system already in my bike, did the device interfere with the GPS system already on the bike?

1 - 19 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.