Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 wing and I'm getting feed back from fellow riders behind me that my headlights are aiming in two different directions. With bike on center stand with lights on low bean it is apparent that one bulb seems to shoot higher than the other. Is this normal for I don't see any adjustability in the head lights other than the electronic adjustment that seems to move both lights together. I don't notice anything unusual while riding but getting tired of all the comments.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
There is another adjustment somewhere in the front fairing area ( I believe ?????? ) I'll dig through the Service Manual and see what I can find.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

The adjusters are accessed from under the fairing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This should be under warranty. Let the dealer mess with it!

Also, maybe check to see that all bulbs are properly seated in their housings?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Honda sets them that way from the factory, Not a warranty item,
There is an adjustment under the front fairing to equal them out. I posted this about a year back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ride with Wings all the time, don't notice one headlight aimed a lot different than the other. If it wasn't set up right at the factory, then it should be under warranty to get it right. The bike is brand new, if the owner can take it back easily, let the dealer do it.

Just saying, that is what warranties are for.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Any dealer "should" be willing to do the adjustment, but it's something Honda likely wouldn't pay out as a warranty problem. It would likely be up to the good graces of the dealership. Other note on this, it would also have to be the 'selling' dealer that you speak to if you want them to do it. Kind of a grey area like Joe mentioned, the service writer should be able to tell you for sure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yes, selling dealer would need to do this, but it is part of the basic set up procedure. The bike should be legal for the highway. A headlight way out of whack is not legal.

If it was my bike, I would have the dealer fix it. Under warranty for sure if not just through the dealers responsibility to make sure the bike is assembled and ready for the road.

Same thing, if you got a brand new bike, and the engine bolts were not tight, wouldn't you expect the dealer to fix it? Sure you would.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ever since the 1800 Gold Wing came out in 2001 the headlight were aimed like that. Honda did it so you can get both far and near lighting. My 02 was like that but my 08 was not I thought Honda corrected it in 08 but apparently they went back to it in 2010. If you get a Gold Wing far enough behind you it looks like 1 head light is out. Look under the fairing and there is a 12 MM white nylon nut that you can turn to adjust the light.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Joe, you are still "the man". How's the new bike treating you??

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Love it!! only 4,000 miles in 4 months but it's a lot of fun, The only thing left I have to do is get a seat that works for me. I think I have one that I want to try, most of the Concours riders use Baldwin seats and love them so I guess I'll try one. Once I get that done I'll be set. I put a J&M handlebar mounted CB on last week so now I can communicate with the other guys I ride with. It has an AUX plug for my MP3 player.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
FYI, all motor vehicles are required to go through a final headlamp aim station prior to exiting the assembly line. They should not be "leaving" the factory w/one up, one down. I'm sure that is not proper!
Headlamp aim was one of the dealer prep items for years in the automotive industry. Then someone with a brain said, why are we paying dealer prep charges for this when it's done at the factory. So, no more "dealer prep" of aiming headlamps. This is different than headlamps being mis-aimed and a customer bringing a bike in for this issue. If the lamps are "off", it should be covered by warranty!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If the lamps are "off", it should be covered by warranty!

The factory set them that way and I doubt if you can get a dealer to reset them or if you can find a dealer that knows how.
How long did it take before dealers started adjusting the cruise lag? it came from the factory that way and yes, HONDA did know about it because every bike that comes off the line get puts on a dyno and all systems are checked.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Right you are Joe. The PDI list on a GW is extensive and time consuming, but headlights are not part of it. We'd look after it as part of our customer service plan, but it's up to the individual dealer to decide. Just as there are those that steal the 600 mile service, there'd likely be those that would charge for the headlight adjustment too.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
If the lamps are "off", it should be covered by warranty!

The factory set them that way and I doubt if you can get a dealer to reset them or if you can find a dealer that knows how.
How long did it take before dealers started adjusting the cruise lag? it came from the factory that way and yes, HONDA did know about it because every bike that comes off the line get puts on a dyno and all systems are checked.
" ........ Some settling may have occurred during shipping " . Sincerely, Mother Honda.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts