Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Have been enjoying all the friendliness and knowledge of the many postings on GWOF but didn't think I would be asking a question myself quite so soon.

I bought my 2004 GL1800 last fall and have just begun to enjoy it. Naturally, I tried everything out when I first brought it home and it seemed to be in almost mint condition with only 29K miles.

This spring, however, I find that the hazard lights will not function properly and I'm thinking it might be the switch. They definitely worked when I depressed the switch last fall. Now, all lights illuminate when the switch is depressed, but the switch does not stay depressed nor will the lights blink as normally. All fuses are in good order, turn signals and head/tail lights all work and I have had absolutely no problems with this wonderful bike otherwise.

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Rambo1207

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Did you try spraying some air into the switch. Sometimes dirt can accumulate in there and prevent the switch from working properly...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Probably just the switch need cleaning, you can spray contact cleaner on it (cover any painted parts near the area) or try blowing compressed air around it. I never used my 4 way anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can also take it apart and clean it, but be very careful, there is a little spring in there that will pop out and dissappear. Ask me how I know... I've been told the spring from a Shrader air valve will work but I haven't taken it back apart to try to fix it yet... too busy riding....(sigh...)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Agree what's been said already. Nightwing, i just can't feel sorry for you (sigh);)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All.

So far repeated efforts to blow the switch area with air and to use electrical contact cleaner followed by air has not been successful. I operated the switch all during my efforts but didn't have any luck. Then I disconnected the switch connector and checked for continuity on the switch side per the shop manual and found none. Doesn't make any sense to me that if there is no continuity I would still be able to depress and hold the switch and have all four lights work. It seems more like a mechanical problem with the switch in that it won't "click" into place, perhaps because it wasn't been fully depressed.

Your suggestions seem like they should work, so maybe I'll just keep trying. It looks like this switch assembly includes the fog lights, headlight adjustment and possibly the suspension adjustment...........hence likely a very expensive switch.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again to all you experts out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
slight hijack

my hazard lights have a little different problem. if i push the button, only the left side works. If I also put the right turn signal on, the right side will flash with the left or out of sync with the left depending upon my timing. ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts