Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the seat on my wing is starting to tear at a couple of the embossed areas.
Have any of you had your Wing seat re-upholstered at a local upholstery shop in your area?
if so........... can I be nosey and ask how much it cost?

For I am fixin' to go out getting a couple of estimates in my area, just wanting some comparisons
there is one shop here that does a lot of boats that had pics of their work
another had a few pictures of some UTVs they did.

but it might be Thanksgiving week before I can catch one open, they all close about the time I get home for work

·
Registered
373 Posts
What year and model? You can probable get a "skin" and do it yourself?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013 Audio comfort
I was having no luck finding one online
got one once for my 1500, it worked, but I was not impressed with the quality
I am thinking of hitting the boat place..... marine grade vinyl should stand up to the weather

·
Registered
599 Posts
Have not had either of my wings recovered but had my daughters GS seat done from pan up cost me about $100 at the local upholstery shop, best part they built it for my daughter and the work was great. Any auto upholstery shop should be able to do this for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to get away from school an hour early today, hurray for pep rallies, and stopped by two different local shops,
they both gave the same quote, using marine grade vinyl, of $500 to do the main seat, the passenger lean back, the driver lean back, and the arm rests

so, looks like by around Thanksgiving I will have newly covered seats.

the one guy, that I think I will go with, said,"to be honest, there won't be but about $40 in materials, but 10-14 hours of labor"

·
Registered
599 Posts
It sounds like you found what you were looking for, for the price of a new seat you can have yours redone twice. Also it will look better than trying to recover yourself. Be sure and let us know how it turns out.👍

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
📸📸📸📸📸📸 Please.

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can count on it

who knows........... if it turns out great....... they may be getting lots of bike business, if they will deal with shipping

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are guys who go to Rallys and do Seat work and Recovers. I'd live with it and wait until summer. You can buy a used stock seat in great condition for under $500 from someone who bought something they liked better. Armorall is a seats best friend.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is the way I look at it........ yeah, I could get a used seat, plenty on ebay, but..... if my seat is the way it is in 2020 for a 2013, heated seats, I would have to get a 2nd gen seat, slight difference from what I read, so the newest I could get is 2017, so that doesn't put me long to the same issue again. The problem with my seat is at all those embossed areas, the are so thin, it is starting to come apart at all of those on the driver seat. Not sure it would last until summer. Seems to open up about 1/4 -1/2 more somewhere every day I ride. (mon, tues, wed, of this week will be the first days I haven't rode it to work in 6 weeks). I did some looking, couldn't find anything worth the $$ in my opinion. Definitely can't afford one of those $1k + custom seats.
This will be something kind of in between. Stock seat, more or less, custom covered. I know, from doing some lawn chairs, the marine vinyl is a lot heavier than what is on there, and from having had a boat, will take abuse pretty well.
The guy I am having do it, will be using a marine grade vinyl with uv resistant thread, made to fit, not heat shrank to fit, plus he is recovering everything, seat, both lean backs, and the passenger arm rests and doing a little different padding on the driver seat and armrests for the $500. This also supports a local business during these weird times.

The topper is, wife said, "For $500, go for it". Put my name on the list the next day. He has two custom crew cab Mini Freightliners ahead of me, already was doing the sewing on the first.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
since we got COVID shut down yesterday, while they were doing contact tracing at the elementary school, and ironing out the details of at least elementary going Virtual until Thanksgiving.
We got lucky I guess, only the Elementary is down....... the High School only shut for one day, back in person today.

I used the day off to go check where I stood on the list, he said he was going to call me later, I drop off all my seat parts (seat, both lean backs, and arm rests) Monday on my way to work
So crossing my fingers that I have it up and running for Thanksgiving break, we get a week off.

and yes I will post pictures once done, or it didn't happen

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is a heated seat you are having covered right? Does the upholsterer know that it is a heated seat?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, for he even talked about needing to use some special foam

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Since you brought this up, I've noticed my seat starting to split at a seam. I'll be looking around to see what I can have done around here.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
once I see the finished product........... my plan is to ask if he is willing to deal with shipping.....
he might just get some more business........ some stuff on their website.... especially the boat....
is what made me choose them............. hope it lives up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts