Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I an recently retired. I have owned Harleys and Yamahas before but now that I am older, I love the GW and would like to purchase one. I think they are great bikes. I have been looking at some used models but, there is a older gentleman who has a 88 model with about 88,000 miles. He has not rode the bike in a while and basically I think it has been sitting. There is an older gentleman who is trying to sell it for him but frankly does not know much about the bike. I asked him if the current owner has documentation about service and such. He did not know. He is trying to sell it to me for about $1500. I know its worth more than that but my question is. Would you even consider an older bike like this or would you run? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
The price isn't bad, but if the carbs need rebuilt from sitting too long, it could get expensive. A carb. rebuild, if you can even find somebody to work on it, could easily cost up to $800.00. Also plan on timing belts, tires and all the fluids flushed and changed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
To me it's worth less than that. But, I've owned my share of older cars that took $$$ to restore and maintain.

At that age, everything rubber is brittle, including the tires and any hoses and seals, and the plastic is brittle and ready to break if you look at it wrong. By the time you get that bike sorted, you'll have enough in it to have bought a much newer bike in OK condition.

Unless you just love that vintage or style of bike and are willing to put $$ into refreshing it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It depends on what you want. I have a 2015 for riding. I am working on a 1975 to get it back on the road. If you want to ride now get a newer one. If you want some fun working on one buy this one. It is just your call. However the price seems high unless it is very pretty

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Why can't I get a 1500 Goldwing over here for $1500. :unsure:

·
Registered
518 Posts
If it speaks to you, but it.👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts