Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 weeks of not riding my bike turns over but wont start..towed it into repair shop and it started up out of nowhere...they think the vibration of towing did something...anyone heard of this happining?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

There are several things that can cause those symptoms. Kill switch, ignition switch and kickstand switch are all prone to getting dirty and sticking. Check all these before digging into any relays or other possible causes.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump turn on and pump up when you turn the ignition on ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

There are several things that can cause those symptoms. Kill switch, ignition switch and kickstand switch are all prone to getting dirty and sticking. Check all these before digging into any relays or other possible causes.
Thanks, i did check those before towing in, the tow must have vibrated loose the problem since it started right up their..maybe relays, fuel pump?
In san diego

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
I had a similar issue after trailering my 2015 GW one time. I believe it was the kickstand switch so I cleaned that and made sure it was ok. After that I haven't had anymore problems and that's been a couple of years. Did you notice if the kickstand light was on when it would not start?

Steve

·
Registered
2012 gl1800
1,395 Posts
The OP says the bike will turn over "crank" but won't start. Kill switch, side stand switch and clutch switch if in gear won't allow the bike to even crank. Since the bike cranks over, it could still be the battery connections. Checking the voltage on the battery terminals may show a good voltage but it may not be passing the voltaqe through the connections.

·
Registered
2012 gl1800
1,395 Posts
Would it be the pulse generator? Our F6B had that issue
Possible, but since it's so intermittent it may be hard to diagnose. May also be some corrosion on the position sensor connectors.
Here's a test to see if it is the sensor or possibly the battery. When cranking the engine, hold the throttle wide open to prevent it from starting and read the voltage while cranking for about 5 seconds.
The description shows how to check for a fault indicator code. From Techdude.

"The next time it won't start, put it in neutral if it isn't, sidestand down, then crank it for more than 10 seconds. It should flash the engine light to tell you the failure code the ECM thinks is wrong. It will flash long and short flashes, long = 10, short = 1, count them. If you get a 19, the ECM isn't getting enough pulse signal from the crankshaft position sensor. This will cause it to kill the fuel and not allow the engine to start. If you get no code, then try this. Get a voltmeter, put the leads on the battery terminals while you are cranking it and see what the voltage falls to. If it drops below 10.1V it will not start due to the required relays dropping out from lack of voltage. The starter will still be spinning the engine. If the voltage is dropping too low, check and clean the battery terminals and try it again, if it still drops too low you need a new battery."

Another tip:
"When it does it again, pull your seat and move the big harness right in front of the relay bank and see if it fires up. C5 may have an issue that will get worse with age."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The repair shop did diagostics, they saw a crankcase position sensor error, question now is why after towing in it started right up, and has been for 3 days there. Maybe connector or just beginning of sensor failure..i have abs so it a bitch to get to the dam thing, so its alot of labor...

·
Registered
7 Posts
It could be, did you get codes? I didnt get any, service manual says you should get some
I have a 2012 GW with 8800 miles which I rarely ride. On Friday, it did not want to start but it did start and I let it run for 25 mins. Yesterday It refused to start.I put an altimeter and it showed 12.7 voltage. Took the battery out cleaned the terminals and put it on a Tender for 5 hours. re installed still will not crank. the fuel pump comes on and the tank is full of gas. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Please advise.

How do you check for codes on a GW?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My buddy’s 08 did the same thing 2 weeks ago while we were on vacation in the mountains. He shut it off and went out later and when he went to crank it, it turned over very fast, but never attempted to start. We swapped the battery from another bike, but that didn’t help. After much searching online for a possible cause, we felt the problem was with the crankcase position sensor, more specifically, the high likelihood that it was corrosion in the sensor’s plug because tha actual sensor rarely fails, and it is in an area where moisture and grime can be introduced by the front wheel. After removing both cowlings from the front, we found the wire, but had difficulty getting to the plug itself and had to unbolt the coil packs and another bracket to gain access to the boot where the plug was hiding. Once out, the plug was indeed corroded, so we cleaned both sides with sand paper and applied some dielectric grease to protect it in the future and it started right up and has run perfectly since.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
After 2 weeks of not riding my bike turns over but wont start..towed it into repair shop and it started up out of nowhere...they think the vibration of towing did something...anyone heard of this happining?
You are mostly correct it is the beginning of a problem. I would only drive it only as far as you could get some one with a trailer to come pick it up. It's a bitch to be 300 miles from home and the bike not start or have something else go wrong. Could be a costly venture if you had to wait for a week for parts to come in. You could run up some expensive motel bills. It has been my experience if there is an intermitent problem, it is just a matter of time before it will just quit. Sometimes that is the only way to find a problem so you can fix it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts